Wrong password on auto-fill but manual copy works

Options
erikV8
erikV8
Community Member

I'm very happy with 1P, but I just recently encountered the problem discussed here (the thread's locked) and figured I'd add my 2 cents:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/24594/wrong-password-filled-in

It happened with a WordPress login. It consistently fills in the wrong password, but when copying it manually it's correct. I wanted to find out what password it was entering, so I disabled auto-submit, filled it, and printed the password field using the console:

document.getElementById('user_pass').value;

And sure enough, it's filling in the oldest password in that login's history (I'm now on password #3).

So far it's only happened once, and the delete and re-save workaround "fixed" it—but I lose the password history for that login, and now I'm left wondering when it'll happen again.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @erikV8,

I'm sorry you were having this problem with a Login item, but thanks for taking the time to post the details here! Saving a new Login item for that site would have been my first suggestion, so I'm glad that worked.

If the problematic Login item has been deleted, we may not be able to figure out why an old password was being filled. My best guess is that perhaps the old password was still saved in the web form details of that Login item, and 1Password was using that to fill the Login form. If that Login item is still in the Trash in 1Password, you can click the show web form details button in that item to see if the old password is there. If that was the problem, it shouldn't be something that will happen with the new Login item you saved.

If you do happen to run into a similar problem with another Login item, please do let us know and we'll work to figure out what's causing that. Thanks!

• erikV8
    erikV8
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I found it in the trash and the web form details did have the old password in the 'password' field. Could've sworn I checked that since that was mentioned in the other post. Anyway, thanks for the help! Good to know I can fix it if it happens again. I'm curious -- shouldn't that field get updated when I change my password? It seems odd to have the password in two places.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @erikV8,

When the process works properly, updating the visible password field in a Login item should update the correct entry in the web form details section. It does depend on the filling logic correctly identifying the password field. Now if a nice clean login page has a single password field we'll get that every time, it's the odd sites with dozens of hidden fields and all sorts of nutty behaviour going on under the hood. If 1Password incorrectly identifies the password field the process breaks down. That's at least one reason why I know this can happen. I can't think of a particular site to use as an example at the moment but it can happen. The reason the original Login can still work regardless is when we've recorded all of the web form details we've stored everything we need to log in, it's just we haven't correctly identified all the right bits for when changes happen later.

Does that make sense?

This discussion has been closed.