2 accounts on one Mac - unable to find .agilekeychain for 2nd account

jmills
jmills
Community Member

Just got a new Mac. Decided an account for my wife and one for me would be a good idea. Installed 1P from wife's account. When I start 1P from my account I check the box "I've used 1P before". It asks me to to choose a folder where .agilekeychain or .opvault resides. I see none in the directories I can see. We plan to share the same vault. This could be Mac ignorance as much as anything else. Can you help me out, please?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Take a look at this recent AgileBits post, part of which includes this:

Regarding user accounts, 1Password doesn't have any notion of these, instead we leave that aspect to the operating system. As all of your preferences and locally stored vaults are stored in the users Library folder each OS X user account is completely separate. If you want to share a vault between even two user accounts on a single machine it requires setting up syncing of the vault and sharing it that way.

But read a little more than that, too, because the comments about the way vaults are used may also be relevant to you.

If you want to know more about multiple vaults have a look at this knowledge base article.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmills,

Hopefully Stephen_C's post has helped clear the confusion a bit :smile:

If you have more than one Mac or you have iOS devices then Sync with Dropbox is a great way forward due to how easy it is to keep multiple devices in sync. It does work just as well if you want to sync a single vault between two OS X user accounts too though. If you are against cloud based services then we can look at Folder Sync between the two accounts. This is a little more involved but we can help there too depending on the exact situation. Let us know what you think and how you would like to move forward and we'll do out best to help :smile:

• jmills
    jmills
    Community Member

I'm not against using the cloud. After reading the Sync with Dropbox article it sounds as though I can treat my account as though it is another Mac and synch with my wife's vault. Is this correct?

• jmills
    jmills
    Community Member

To be completely clear, I'm thinking to establish synching via dropbox for my wife's account then invite my own account to share the folder on dropbox. Would this work?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jmills,

After reading the Sync with Dropbox article it sounds as though I can treat my account as though it is another Mac and synch with my wife's vault. Is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.

To be completely clear, I'm thinking to establish synching via dropbox for my wife's account then invite my own account to share the folder on dropbox. Would this work?

If you and your wife are planning to use the same vault, you don't need to share the folder from one account to the other, you can just sync it. You'll need to make sure Dropbox is installed on both accounts first. Then go ahead and follow the steps in the Sync with Dropbox guide as though you're syncing two computers together with the same Dropbox account. Does that make sense?

• jmills
    jmills
    Community Member

Thank you for your help. Using 2 Mac accounts as though they are two separate machines and synching through dropbox works fine. I also set up the mobile version on two iphones and an ipad all communicating through the dropbox account.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmills,

We're so glad to hear that worked out well for you! Thanks for reporting back with good news. If you ever need anything else, you know where to find us.

Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.