Favorites at the top

Options
jlivingston
jlivingston
Community Member

Hello,

I've noticed that, when initiating a password entry for a site where I have numerous accounts, that if I have marked an account as a favorite, it does not always appear at the top of that account list. I had one instance where one of my favorites wasn't listed until I clicked "Show more items".

Comments

• Hi @jlivingston,

Can you confirm that you're talking about the list of logins that would show in either 1Password mini, or the browser extension? Is there a chance htat you could provide us with a screenshot and indicate which item is a favorite and which item is not a favorite but above it? Feel free to block out any sensitive info that may be in the screenshot.

Rick

• jlivingston
    jlivingston
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it is the browser extension. I've checked it in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. Here is the screenshot.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jlivingston ,

Thanks for sending along those screenshots! I've got one more thing for you to check: is the URL in those items all identical?

There are two different ways that 1Password can match Logins here:

Precise domain matching

• Enabled by default
    • 1Password will look at both the domain and subdomain when matching.
    • For example: If I visit 'blog.agilebits.com', I will see my blog Login, but the Login I use for 'discussions.agilebits.com' will be hidden behind the 'Show more items' option because it is not a precise match

Lenient URL matching

• Can be enabled in Preferences > Browser
    • 1Password will look only at the main domain when selecting which Logins to display in mini
    • Here, if I am on any 'agilebits.com' site, I will see all the Logins that I have for agilebits.com ... and there are quite a few!

So, it is my guess that you have the default precise domain matching set, and the URLs for some of these entries is slightly different. If you're viewing 'login.website.com', then the Logins that use precisely that URL will show up at the top of the list, and then other Logins (that might use 'signin.website.com' or some variation) will show below, because they are a less precise match.

To see your favourites at the top where you want them, you've got two options:

• Go through your list of Logins and make sure that each is pointing to the correct/same URL
    • Enable 'Lenient URL Matching'.

Either option should give you the behaviour you expect. Please let me know if this helps!

• jlivingston
    jlivingston
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

They are not all identical. I've changed the one favorite to match the top URLs, and it's at the top now.

Still, it seems that if a set of logins come up in a list for a page that you're on, that the favorites should be at the top, indiscriminately.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

joey

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Joey ( @jlivingston ),

I'm glad that changing the URL ensured that your Favourite floated to the top.

It sounds to me like you might want to try 'Lenient URL Matching'. This will make 1Password less picky about matching the URLs, and your Favourites will float to the top, even if the URL is slightly different.

Nevertheless, you're not the only one who thinks that Favourites should always be at the top. We have an existing report open in our internal tracker, and I've added your thoughts there. Thanks for the feedback!

ref: OPM-2039

• jlivingston
    jlivingston
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome. Thank you.

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.