No auto submit login with 5.3 (530032)

Mac 10.10.2. After I upgraded to 5.3 (530032) today from the last update, the auto login no longer works whether I try it from the safari browser extension or double clicking the item in the 1password mac app. Now it just navigates to the webpage whereas it used to also auto login to the webpage. Settings still look the same.

Comments

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

command-\ also does nothing now.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

i might also note that i have the latest 1password also running on my Windows 7 computer. Auto login from 1password app never worked there, but the web extension menu to login to web pages is still working with auto login. So now my main computer which is a Mac is working worse than my Windows computer for the first time. My computers share the 1password vault from my Dropbox account.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

So am I just out of luck because I upgraded? No more auto submit for me? No more command-\ for me? Back to using Safari's built-in username and password saving?

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Is it possible to remove 5.3, install the last version, and restore my vault to a date prior to the 5.3 upgrade?

• Hi @ckp,

On the Mac could you please let me know:

1) What browser and version you're using
    2) What version of the 1Password extension you have installed in that browser
    3) If you have restarted your Mac since updating

Thanks!

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Safari 8.04, Extension 4.3.1, No i have not restarted my Mac, but I'll do that now just to see if it helps.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Restarting my Mac did NOT help. =(

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

I have noticed that a few sites still auto submit ok. But several do not anymore.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

I was happy enough with 5.1. Is it possible to remove 5.3, install the last version 5.1, and restore my vault to a date prior to the 5.3 upgrade?

• dfelicia
    dfelicia
    Community Member

Tested on OS X 10.10.3 using Safari. In 1Password 5.1 the browser extension successfully fills in my password and submits the form for my company's single sign-on page. Upgrade to 5.3 and the password gets filled, but I have to click the sign-on button with my mouse. Furthermore, the enter key will not be accepted [unless I disable the 1Password extension]. I restored 5.1 from backup to confirm the regression lies with 5.3. I also submitted a web site report via the 1Password Mini setting menu.

Note that not all form based login pages are affected. For example, my bank's website continues to work as before.

Sticking with version 5.1 until this is addressed...

• Space_Noodle
    Space_Noodle
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem, is there a solution for this? My login credentials all still auto-fill, but the "submit" button is no longer activated.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Have you tried re-creating and saving the relevant login manually? That usually fixes problems of that kind.

Stephen

• dfelicia
    dfelicia
    Community Member

Yes. No dice. It's definitely a regressive bug in 1Password.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Same exact issue here. I've seen multiple posts in this including mine. I guess I will remove 1password 5.3 and install 5.1 again. Hope it doesn't cause any issues doing that. Urls that no longer work, but worked with 5.1 have been provided as examples. Does agile bits have any kind of debug logging we can turn on so you guys can have some clue on what the problem is and fix it?

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Ok, I trashed 5.3 and installed 5.1 again. Everything works now. Upgrade to 5.3 = Bad. Please fix it.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Ok, I trashed 5.3 and installed 5.1 again. Everything works now. Upgrade to 5.3 = Bad. Please fix it.

• Hi @ckp, @dfelicia and @Space_Noodle

I'm really sorry to hear about the frustrations with 1Password no longer auto-submitting for you in 1Password for Mac 5.3. Lets figure out what is going on.

We have not been able to reproduce this on our end, however as @dfelicia mentioned it appears that it is only happening with certain websites. Would you be able to list some of the URLs that are giving you trouble?

I'll run some tests with those and try to figure out what exactly changed to make auto-submit fail on these sites.

Thanks so much for bringing this up and helping us track this down!

• Also, just to note, I moved this thread to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Hi, I can send you a list of all my URLs if you want. Most of them stopped working in 5.3. But i already rolled back to 5.1. One URL I already let you guys know about is https://www.firsttechfed.com . Let me know where I can send my URLs to in a more private way. Thanks.

• Space_Noodle
    Space_Noodle
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Thanks for looking into this @Meek.

[URLs later removed at Space_Noodle's request]

• Hi @ckp and @Space_Noodle,

Thank you so much for compiling all these sites together - you are awesome :)

I tested filling on all the sites above and the only ones that failed to autosubmit were British Airways (there is something strange going on here that we'll look into), and the home page of Southwest (which is a known issue, however autosubmit on the alternate page worked fine). The rest seemed to autosubmit fine for me.

I tested with 1Password 5.3 for Mac using the latest extension (4.3.1).

I know it may seem like an obvious question, but just to cover all the bases, please ensure that "Automatically submit logins after filling" is enabled under 1Password > Preferences > Browser. Also, if you edit one of the items and scroll down to the lower section, ensure that the "submit" option is set to "Submit when enabled" or "Always".

Also, are you able to reproduce this in any other browsers other than Safari, such as Chrome or Firefox?

Finally, one other thought I have is it is possible that another extension might be interfering with the autosubmit functionality of 1Password. Try disabling any other extensions that you have installed and give it a try again.

• Space_Noodle
    Space_Noodle
    Community Member

Thanks @Meek for having a look and thanks for the alternate southwest airlines login page. I have 1Password 5.3 with latest extension, and "Automatically submit logins after filling" is enabled as is the "Submit when enabled" option for each. I switched to Chrome, and everything appears to function with the exception of:
    https://quizlet.com
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/memberhome/public/en_us
    https://awardwallet.com

So it seems to be an issue only with Safari in my case. I haven't tried uninstalling other extensions. Is there a way to disable them selectively? In Safari I only see the option to disable all of them, or to uninstall selectively.
    Thanks

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

I also have the right settings and latest extension 4.3.1 on my Macbook Pro 10.10.2 Safari Version 8.0.4 (10600.4.10.7). Note that when I removed 5.3 and installed 5.1 again also with extension 4.3.1, everything went back to working fine like before. So, just the fact that 5.3 is there breaks things for many of my URLs. It could be that Chrome works ok for me also, but I am back on 5.1 now, so I can't add to that - but good job to meek and space_noodle for adding that piece of useful info!
    Also, 1Password in the ONLY extension I have in my Safari, so there is no other extension entering on my system.
    Based on the url i have given and the url's space_noodle has given, I there anything in common with the html submit source for the troubling pages?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Space_Noodle: That is really strange. I'm not seeing that behaviour here myself in 5.3, so you may be onto something with the extensions. Definitely worth a try.

If you open Safari Preferences > Extensions you can leave the switch at the top ON, but when you click on individual extensions to the left, you can uncheck the Enable [extension name] for each to turn them off temporarily without uninstalling or disabling all extensions completely.

Also make sure you update to OS X 10.10.3 and Safari 8.0.5, as there may be bugfixes that will help -- especially since 1Password and Chrome appear to be working just fine.

@ckp: I'm not seeing any commonalities here (though it's hard to say for sure), and it's working for others as well so it seems strange that it wouldn't for you. As I suggested above, make sure you update Safari and OS X, as there were a number of stability fixes for both. And then when you feel up to it let us know if you continue having the same issues going forward. Thanks for your willingness to work with us on this!

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

1password is a critical app for me. I think I'll just stay with 5.1 for now since it works with my OS and browser version. I also updated to 10.10.3 and Safari 8.0.5 but 5.1 still works. I doubt that 5.3 will work just because of that when it works now in 5.1. And I do not think a system must be updated to the very latest version with all patches in order for an app to work. Apps should work (even if they don't include all features) even without the latest versions and patches (that should be the goal of the developers). I'll wait a while as I think you'll get more and more support issues on this as people upgrade. When you have a fix, I'll give the upgrade a try. Keep in mind that not all of my URLs have this problem in 5.3, but many of them do. I doubt you could know if these URLs work for others as you say, because you don't even know what URLs I use other than the single url I gave in the thread. I do appreciate your help, but I don't think I can spend anymore time on this at the moment. I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

1password is a critical app for me. I think I'll just stay with 5.1 for now since it works with my OS and browser version.

@ckp: Whatever works for you! :+1:

Apps should work (even if they don't include all features) even without the latest versions and patches (that should be the goal of the developers).

This is always the goal, but until the machines take over there will always be bugs, because we are, after all, 'only human'. If you're happy with how things are working for you you can continue using whatever setup you like. Just keep in mind that, as you said, you just won't be able to benefit from fixes or features that are added.

I doubt you could know if these URLs work for others as you say, because you don't even know what URLs I use other than the single url I gave in the thread. I do appreciate your help, but I don't think I can spend anymore time on this at the moment. I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

Sounds good. But again, if you continue having trouble with specific sites, be sure to tell us. As you indicated, we have no way of testing them (and therefore being able to come up with a solution) without knowing. Also, I don't see where I had a conversation with you about specific URLs, so I'm not sure what you mean.

And just to clarify regarding AutoSubmit, 1Password is attempting to send the Return key to submit the forms automatically, so we see issues when this is being blocked (by an extension, application, or accessibility settings) for some reason.

For a week (roughly) in which we've had not only a new 1Password release but also updates to OS X and Safari I am pleasantly surprised that we're not seeing more reports. But as we continue to investigate these issues, be sure to let us know if we can be of further assistance. :)

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

And just to clarify regarding AutoSubmit, 1Password is attempting to send the Return key to submit the forms automatically, so we see issues when this is being blocked (by an extension, application, or accessibility settings) for some reason.

Well, did 5.1 send a Return key differently? Because it WORKS in 5.1 but not 5.3. I just upgraded to 5.3 again since I have 10.10.3 and latest Safari now, but as expected it has stopped working now that I put 5.3 back on.
    So, as I offered before, but received no response from your team, I am willing to give you my URLs privately (not posted in the forum) if you want.
    I will leave 5.3 installed for a little while in case you want to ask me to do any troubleshooting.
    I also tried Chrome this time, but it doesn't even fill in the logins. however, in Chrome, if I hit command-\ it will popup the 1password dialog where i can select the site and it will then fill in the login as well as auto submit. I am not certain if any auto filling is happening on Safari, because my Safari settings for saved web page logins also auto fills in.
    Here is a single URL that has a 5.3 problem that I already gave your team in other posts: https://www.firsttechfed.com/

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

ok, looks like I found the problem.
    in Safari there is a setting to auto fill usernames and passwords. i have always had this enabled and 1password 5.1 didn't mind it and still worked. but in 5.3, i have found that this must be disabled. now my URLs auto submit as long as the safari setting is disabled. however, i liked when it worked enabled because sometimes it's just quicker to click submit when going to a url and safari auto fills, and not use 1password. so now i would be forced to always use 1password which is sometimes not what i want to use.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

actually i really want to have the safari autofill setting enabled all the time and use 1password as well like when i had 1password 5.1 installed. if i don't enable the safari setting, then it means my logins will not be auto sync'd in iCloud to all my devices that use Safari. i feel much safer having TWO ways to save my logins and using 1password isn't very convenient to me when i use my iPad and iPhone.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

I found the problem with 1password 5.3 and Safari (at least for me). The Safari setting to autofill username and password causes the 5.3 app to fail. 5.1 does not have a problem with this Safari settings being enabled. I would prefer to have the setting enabled for various reasons. Hope you can fix it to work like it did in 5.1.

This discussion has been closed.