First tap to copy a password on launching app cancels popup too rapidly [Confirmed iOS issue, not 1P

bmike
bmike
Community Member
edited May 2015 in iOS

I'm running 5.3 (503005) on an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.2 (12D5480a) but I've been having this issue for several versions of shipping OS and shipping OPW app.

My workflow for logging into my Wells Fargo account is to open one password, use fingerprint to unlock the vault and then tap favorites if needed. My wells fargo is there, so I tap it. Then I tap on the password field intending to copy the password.

The first time I launch the app - the Copy | Reveal | Large Type - flashes and then disappears immediately. So I have to tap again and then copy the password.

Is it possible to let the first tap keep the copy button open?

Let me know if you'd like diagnostics or a video of this happening if it's not readily reproducible on your end.

Comments

• Hi @bmike,

I'm not able to reproduce it here. I have a few questions before we take that step of getting your diagnostic or video file.

1. Are you syncing with Dropbox? It might happen because the app is in the middle of syncing as soon as you unlock the app.
    2. If you wait a minute, does it then work as expected?
    3. Does it only happen on Wells Fargo or any items?
  • bmike
    bmike
    Community Member
    1. iCloud sync
    2. where precisely do you want me to pause for 15 (or 60 seconds)
    3. all items are affected
  • bmike
    bmike
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

I waited 60 seconds between unlocking with my fingerprint before tapping the item. Then I waited 60 seconds before tapping the ******** field. The behavior is still buggy / the cancel flashes and then goes away. It's reproducible with a new "Junk" account I just added to favorites, so I'll video it so you can see the timing, etc...

See this snippet showing a tap and hold for the timing of the flash...

I can share a longer video showing the entire sequence if you think that might help you corner this. Make sure you force quit OPW or restart the phone - this only happens on first launch of the app for me. It doesn't appear to be related to how long i wait between taps and touch unlock. My workaround is that I'm learning to long tap and be patient - if I don't lift my finger the copy comes up again after a delay

• Hi @bmike,

Sorry, I should've explained about the waiting part. I was trying to remove the initial sync as the cause by asking you to unlock the app first, wait until the sync is finished, and then see if the flash is gone. Based on the video you did, the sync was already done as the network activity icon is not on the status bar.

That is a weird issue. I restarted my iPhone 5S and in a different test, killed the app; still cannot reproduce it. I've never seen this issue before.

Is the iPhone the only iOS device you have? I was wondering if you have an iPad or an iPod Touch to test to see if you can reproduce there.

What about your Contacts.app, do you notice any issues doing a long tap on an email address or any other fields?

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member

I have the same beta on an iPod touch and I have the store version on two iPads. Only the iPhone 6 has the timing issue.

I tested on contacts and HOLY EXPLETIVE BATMAN - it's happening there too. I'll file a radar with Apple and copy the number here so your devs can dupe it / track the status if needed.

I've never once noticed it anywhere else - that shows you how little I need to copy data from anything but One Password in my day to day near constant usage of my iPhone. What's really odd is that the same build of iOS on my iPad Air 2 doesn't have this tap to copy oddness.

• Hi @bmike,

I tested on contacts and HOLY EXPLETIVE BATMAN - it's happening there too. I'll file a radar with Apple and copy the number here so your devs can dupe it / track the status if needed.

Thanks, we appreciate that.

I've never once noticed it anywhere else - that shows you how little I need to copy data from anything but One Password in my day to day near constant usage of my iPhone. What's really odd is that the same build of iOS on my iPad Air 2 doesn't have this tap to copy oddness.

:smile: I guess that's a good thing since your data in 1Password is protected.

As for the copy/paste/text selection issues, I've seen these type of copy/paste issues often bought up in a few popular Mac forums and I couldn't reproduce their problems either. They did say that they only notice it on a few devices but not all devices experienced the same issue.

It could be specific to the source. Was your iPhone 6 a clean install or a restore from previous device? There were a lot of weird glitches reported that was simply fixed by doing a clean install.

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member

rdar://19830776 is filed with Apple. This iPhone 6 was cleanly installed. for testing I like to limit what is introduced onto the device and intentionally add each app, each sync, etc...

• Hi @bmike,

Thanks. Let me know if Apple got back to you on the issue or closed it as a dupe.

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member

This still isn't resolved on build 12F61 - they keep asking if it's resolved each build so if I read between the lines, they cannot reproduce it in the lab :-(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bmike,

Thanks for the update! It's too bad that there doesn't seem to be a resolution yet, but we remain ever hopeful. :)

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member

Yup - still not fixed on the shipping update 8.3 from Apple. It's not a huge problem anymore since I now know you have a swipe to copy password shortcut on the list - so I never really enter the details screen to copy the password. You've worked around this Apple bug with awesome functionality.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bmike,

Well, I'm glad to hear that the swipe-to-copy feature is helping you out here! I quite enjoy it too. :)

• sfiske
    sfiske
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

I also have been having this problem for months. I currently have iOS build 8.4 (12H4098c). 1Password build 5.5 (505004). Clean install. Like bmike, I have also only noticed this problem with 1Password because it is really the only program and I copy and paste all of the time. I can reproduce it every time. It only happens after I kill the app and restart it. And it only happens the very first time that I try to copy a password. It works normally every time after that until i kill the app again. I think that it is somehow related to 1Password because it is the only app, that I can think of, that when you touch something that you want copied, such as a password, it immediately brings up the dialog to copy, whereas in other apps, you have to hold you finger down for a second for the copy dialog to appear. Does this make sense? Is there some instruction written in your code that when the user touches the password, you want iOS to immediately bring up the copy dialog instead of waiting for a second? I can provide a video and diagnostics log if needed.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sfiske,

Sorry this has been an ongoing problem for you as well. Which type of device(s) are you using where it's happening? Seems to be only an issue for @bmike with his iPhone 6, who mentioned using this as a workaround:

It's not a huge problem anymore since I now know you have a swipe to copy password shortcut on the list - so I never really enter the details screen to copy the password. You've worked around this Apple bug with awesome functionality.

Hopefully you can make use of that, too.

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem on any of my devices, although none are an iPhone 6.

I think that it is somehow related to 1Password because it is the only app, that I can think of, that when you touch something that you want copied, such as a password, it immediately brings up the dialog to copy, whereas in other apps, you have to hold you finger down for a second for the copy dialog to appear. Does this make sense?

Makes sense indeed. That's an astute observation and I'm currently at a loss to think of another app with similar field-tapping behavior.

Is there some instruction written in your code that when the user touches the password, you want iOS to immediately bring up the copy dialog instead of waiting for a second? I can provide a video and diagnostics log if needed.

I'll run this by our developers and we'll let you know if there's anything more you might be able to provide.

Thanks for your feedback and offer to help so far!

• sfiske
    sfiske
    Community Member

I have an iPhone 6 Plus. Again, not a big problem, just an annoyance,

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sfiske,

Thanks for confirming your device! I see that Bmike was able to reproduce this issue in Contacts. Have you tested there? This would help us narrow down whether it's something that 1Password is doing, or if it is in the OS, as currently suspected.

• sfiske
    sfiske
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Hi @Megan ,

I can't reproduce it in Contacts. Every field, except for the "Notes" section, is an active field that opens up another app when touched. The Notes section responds normally, as in when I first touch the field, the cursor appears and when I touch a second time or hold my finger down, the copy dialog appears as normal.

I also think that it may be an iOS 8.4 beta bug. I will wait until the final version of iOS 8.4. If it is still happening, I will post here again.

And the swipe to copy is so much more convenient. I can't believe I didn't know this. It makes this bug irrelevant.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sfiske,

Thanks for getting back to us! I'd be curious to know if this is an iOS beta bug ... but it's awesome to hear that you like the swipe to copy feature. I use it often as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.