Issues in 4 coming from 3. Where did password generator history go?

Options
bobaldred
bobaldred
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

I've just gotten around to upgrading from 3 to 4. I've used 1Password for about 7-8 years. On both my PC & my MBP.
There are some things I really don't like about 4. Well actually I think my issues are with the browser extensions specifically, as I probably use this 90% of there time. Things have gone backwards in terms of ease of use.
I'm sure you've taken decisions about the app for various reasons however... IMO:

• The password generator history is gone from the browser plugin, I use this a lot, because the extension didn't always recognise submitted logins on some client side apps.
  • The browser plugin has lost it's little arrow button to open a login for a site, now you have to hover for a few seconds. Slowing my flow. Now one likes to hover.
  • The new logins list is pointless, I have >10000 logins, the tidy search area was awesome, you've replaced it with a link to a dialog.
  • You've moved the password generator into a seperate dialog
  • Dialogs are clunky, please bring back the 1Password 3 all in one extension.

I've always loved 1Password, and I've never thought, that's annoying about any feature until upgrading to 4 :-1:
Sorry

Rob

Comments

• Meek
    Options

HI @bobaldred,

Thank you so much for your feedback - we really appreciate hearing what our users think. I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with the direction the extension as gone. I'd like to make some suggestions that might help with your workflow - hopefully you find that they somewhat mitigate your frustrations.

• You are correct that we removed the password history option from the browser extension. In its place, 1Password now saves a Password item every time you generate a new password if a login item was not also saved. That way, if 1Password happens to not offer to save, you can always access the generated password. There is also a "Convert to login item" button on these items that can help speed up this process.

• You are also correct that the arrow button is no longer part of the extension. The fastest way to navigate the extension/1Password mini is to use your keyboard. You can press Command-Option-\ to open the extension (without filling), and then scroll the list with the down/up arrows, and then "select" an item in the list with the right arrow. This way you don't have to hover, or wait for any menus to appear.

• I'm not sure I quite understand you third point, however once you open the extension you can simply start typing to search all your items. If I didn't quite get it right, please let me know and I'd be happy to take another stab :)

• I agree that it would be nice to be able to access the Strong Password Generator more quickly, however in the 1Password 3 extension, the password generator was in a separate tab, so it still required the same number of steps to access it.

• I'm sorry to hear you aren't a fan of the new menu-based extension. Thanks for your input here!

Please let me know if that helped at all, or if you would like clarification on any points!

• bobaldred
    bobaldred
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Meek
    Thanks for your detailed explanations.
    On the first two points awesome, sorted I can work with that thanks!
    My points about dialogs were referring to the windows chrome extension, sorry I wasn't clear on that.
    Mac one is much better, like you say, you can search immediately. :+1:

TBH I use Mac most of the time so, as you've sorted my main point about generated passwords, it does save them. I can live with my minor annoyances with the Windows extension on my gaming PC.

Thanks for listening :)
    I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Thanks
    Rob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@bobaldred: Ah! I understand what you mean. I can see how it might throw you off going back and forth from Mac to Windows. It looks a bit different, but functionally they are the same: when you press ctrl+\ in Chrome on Windows, you can just start typing and it will do a search. I hope this helps!

We're definitely looking at ways to improve not only the extension, but 1Password overall, so we really appreciate the feedback. And thanks for your support! :)

This discussion has been closed.