Has anyone tried a Java Authenticator App?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I'm referring to the Google Authenticator for Java. I could install it into my older Nokia Phones but Google officially only recognises iPhone, Android and Blackberry. I can't be sure how it will work.

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/multifactor-authentication-options/google-authenticator/

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I have not. Honestly, I am hesitant to use TFA on a platform that isn't widely supported, because if it breaks or stops being updated it'll be trouble to switch to another device for the TFA (if it's even possible).

I used to use the Blizzard Authenticator keyfob for my Battle.net login for years, and when it died it was a nightmare to get back into my account. Their newer authenticator app for iOS works well, but I'm loving TOTP support in 1Password (iOS, Windows, Mac, and now Android). :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I use lwuitgauthj2me with an old Sony Ericsson as a backup code generator and it works. It's not rocket science, really. Google Authenticator is using a well known standard to generate codes. With lwuitgauthj2me you just have to put the secret code there manually instead of scanning a QR code.

@brenty I don't think you should trust any code generating app, official or not. Because simply, they can disappear any moment. You can lose your phone, or delete the app by accident. Even Google messed up by releasing an update that broke Google Authenticator (maybe that's why the latest update to that app is from 2013). You should always look at the backup options. If the service offers you to print out backup codes, I always do that. I also keep a seperate phone that can recieve backup codes via SMS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Google Authenticator is using a well known standard to generate codes. With lwuitgauthj2me you just have to put the secret code there manually instead of scanning a QR code.

@Xe997: Indeed. That's why we are doing just that in 1Password! :)

I don't think you should trust any code generating app, official or not. ... You should always look at the backup options.

Agreed! As I mentioned, I have been on the receiving end of that valuable lesson. ;)

For me, using 1Password for TOTP codes is a matter of convenience. You better believe I have my one-time-use backup codes in a safe place!

If the service offers you to print out backup codes, I always do that. I also keep a seperate phone that can recieve backup codes via SMS.

Excellent advice for any who will accept it! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.