iCloud Sync

mfranzel
mfranzel
Community Member

I received 1Password 5 for Mac from a bundle through Parallels. I am trying to use iCloud sync to sync my data between my iPhone 6 and my Mac, but from what I read I cannot use iCloud sync because I didn't get 1Password from the Mac App store. The ONLY reason I got the bundle through Parallels was because I got 1Password and NEED to use iCloud sync. How can I do this?! HELP.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

The only way for you to be able to sync 1Password through iCloud is to have purchased it directly from Apple through the Mac App Store. That's Apple's policy, and they so far have shown no indication of relaxing it.

If it's true you bought Parallels solely to get 1Password, perhaps you could approach the Parallels people for a refund, and then get the 1Password license as a standalone purchase.

• mfranzel
    mfranzel
    Community Member

Is there any way you can revoke my current license and then provide a discount code for the app store? I am using a competitors app and want to switch but every time I try to switch to 1Password, you guys put up a roadblock to make it impossible.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

I don't work for AgileBits, so I can't speak for them, but I have been hanging around here long enough to know that the answer to your question about revoking you license and issuing a discount code for the Mac App Store is, unfortunately, No. Apple doesn't provide developers any way to offer individual purchasers discounts, and it doesn't even have a mechanism to offer upgrade pricing. AgileBits can and does do that for the version they sell themselves, which is a long term advantage for users. There are three other sync option that all work well, but I know attachment to iCloud is a personal decision.

There is a discussion of the disappearance of iCloud sync from the AgileBits version here.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mfranzel,

Our hands are genuinely tied. There isn't a way to mass migrate users to the MAS version and nor is there a way to selectively offer a discount. We'd love it if both existed but they simply don't. Everything hawkmoth has told you is correct.

If iCloud Sync is a deal breaker it's as he said, you would need to ask for a refund from Parallels as they're the seller in this offer and then you would need to purchase 1Password via Apple's Mac App Store (MAS).

I realise it isn't the news you were hoping to hear but this is the situation at the moment - sorry.

• MBRTransit
    MBRTransit
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Hello.

I too have the same experience as @mfranzel. I have requested a refund and expect to see it applied in a few days. If this was a joint purchase with Parallels/Cleverbridge, contact their customer service department and request a refund.

I struggled with requesting a refund. But the bigger issue came down to the fact that my initial purchase was made without my being fully informed. It's unfortunate that someone is not being upfront about this purchasing experience. Wifi sync has definite limitations compared with iCloud. While one can live with wifi sync only, why would you?

My questions: after I purchase the AppStore version of 1Password, what is the best way to apply the new purchase? Do I uninstall the software from my Mac? Should I change the sync on my iOS devices first? Or can I just install 1Password on top of the existing webstore version with no issues?

In conclusion, I really like the software. I too am replacing another product which works well, but doesn't look as nice and I have to renew the license annually.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WebsiteHugger,

I'm very sorry for any confusion about this! 1Password 5 uses the new Apple iCloud ‘CloudKit’ technology which is only available on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, and limited to Mac App Store apps only. Unfortunately it's not possible to include the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac with the Parallels bundle, only the web store version can be bundled that way.

Wifi sync has definite limitations compared with iCloud. While one can live with wifi sync only, why would you?

The web store version of 1Password 5 for Mac also supports Dropbox sync, which works similarly to iCloud sync and doesn't have the limitations of Wi-Fi sync. I'm not sure if you knew about that sync option, so I wanted to mention it in case it helps.

My questions: after I purchase the AppStore version of 1Password, what is the best way to apply the new purchase? Do I uninstall the software from my Mac? Should I change the sync on my iOS devices first? Or can I just install 1Password on top of the existing webstore version with no issues?

Don't uninstall anything until you have all your 1Password data migrated to the Mac App Store version. The process should actually be very easy, and we have the steps here: Migrating to the Mac App Store version

As for your iOS devices, you may want to get things situated on your Mac first (i.e. migrating to the Mac App Store version and setting up iCloud sync). However, it's ok to switch 1Password for iOS to iCloud sync first, if you really want to.

In conclusion, I really like the software. I too am replacing another product which works well, but doesn't look as nice and I have to renew the license annually.

I'm really happy to hear that! :) If you need more help getting set up, just let us know - we're here for you!

• MBRTransit
    MBRTransit
    Community Member

Just for the record: my money was quickly refunded. I'm a happy camper now. FYI: if anyone wants to sync using iCloud, you need to make your purchase through the AppStore only.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WebsiteHugger,

Thanks for taking the time to follow up and let us know, I'm glad you're now a happy camper! :)

Please let us know if you ever need anything else, we're always happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.