Apple Watch page

schellack
schellack
Community Member

I was very excited to learn more about 1Password 5.4's new Apple Watch functionality, even though I don't (yet!) have an Apple Watch. When—in 1Password—I went to Settings >> Apple Watch and tapped on the Learn More link, it tried to take me to a web page with the URL https://op5.agilebits.com/ios-guide/en/setup_apple_watch, but the page could not be found. Is the page just not up yet, or is this a defect (the wrong URL)?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @schellack ,

We've got some great ideas for the Apple Watch, but we're just not ready to share them quite yet. ;)

• schellack
    schellack
    Community Member

Aww, what a tease! :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@schellack: Yeah, sorry about that! I know that until today (yesterday now?) there was an embargo on Watch press or even app info (which is why I got a ton of app updates earlier!), so I suspect we should have something to share soon. :pirate:

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

Following the MacRumours announcement of your upcoming version to support the apple watch, and Wendy getting to the gym and using her watch to remind her of her gym locker, a thought struck me. Could you tie location to certain items so that the watch knows when you're likely to need the gym code, garage code, etc?

• @schellack Can you try it again? You should be taken to a page where you can sign up for our Apple Watch newsletter.

• MrRooni
    edited April 2015

@smallcheese This is a cool idea and one that we've been tossing around. Nothing to report yet though... ;)

• schellack
    schellack
    Community Member

@MrRooni the link works now! I even went ahead and signed up for the newsletter.

• Perfect, thanks for verifying!

• mpeay
    mpeay
    Community Member

I thought of the same thing when I saw the locker example. Certainly useful for Watch but even good for iOS versions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@mpeay: I agree! I would love that feature I think. But privacy and security are always a concern, so it may be something that is off by default if we do it. 1Password doesn't want (or need) to track you, but I can imagine it would give me pause if I launched it and was told that 1Password was requesting my location!

That way each of us can choose if we want GPS coordinates associated with items in 1Password -- and then deal with the ensuing prompts from iOS to access the GPS hardware. Food for thought! ;)

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

I like that level of paranoia @brenty -- whilst I trust and enjoy the 1PW team far more than other companies, there's still no way of knowing for sure that they're not an NSA front organisation*...

*[for the absence of doubt, I don't think this of course]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@cjbulow: Thanks! I like the way you think. Better safe than sorry! :fearful:

I really like that I don't have to just say, "Trust us!" That almost(?) never ends well.

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

We're in the middle of a national election over here; all of the parties are asking us to do just that! Knaves, fools & charlatans all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No comment. :lol:

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

;)

• mpeay
    mpeay
    Community Member

@brenty I think a good way to implement it would be like OmniFocus where you can set a location for a particular context. 99% of passwords will not need it (and off should be the default), but when appropriate it would be helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mpeay: Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, along the lines of 'opt-in'. Maybe give power users the option to add this to specific items. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.