1Password crashes on Samsung Note 4 with Android 5.0.1

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password crashes during sync on devices using an Intel processor.

Comments

• upbubble
    upbubble
    Community Member
    Options

I recently upgraded to Lollipop (5.01) on my Samsung Note 4. My 1 Password now crashes everytime I open 1 Password with the message "Unfortunately, 1 Password has stopped". How can I fix this?

• saad
    Options

Thanks for reporting this crash. We looked over a few crash reports and wanted to verify if the issue you are experiencing is the same problem others reported. Did you configure your vault in the main 1Password application?

Does this crash occur when you launch the filling interface (tapping the 1Password icon in the keyboard) or in the main 1Password application?

• upbubble
    upbubble
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

The crash occurred while in the program after uploading Lollipop. The program was synced with dropbox. After uninstalling and re-installing 1Password, I chose to connect to the vault in dropbox. The crash again occurs in the main 1Password application.

• saad
    edited April 2015
    Options

Just to confirm, do you have the 1Password keyboard and 1Password's accessibility service enabled? If you do, could you disable both and try configuring sync again? Let me know if that helps.

• upbubble
    upbubble
    Community Member
    Options

I have the 1Password keyboard and 1Password's accessibility disabled. 1 Password crashes upon opening so I cannot configure sync.

• Ayr-Nhiall
    Ayr-Nhiall
    Community Member
    Options

Similar problem for me. Sent in the auto-log trouble report. Besides screwing up my 1Password, the latest OS patch changed my color schemes throughout my Note 4 Edge. The latter is not an Agile problem. But had I wanted an "egg yolk&pink" color scheme I would have already had it.

• pdav221
    pdav221
    Community Member
    Options

The same thing is happening on my Samsung Note 3. My phone was upgraded to Android Lollipop 5.01 and now 1Password does not open without crashing! Please patch it quickly!

• saad
    Options

Thanks so much for letting us know you are experiencing this issue on your Samsung devices after the Lollipop update. Our developers are currently looking into this and hope to have a solution out soon!

• mverde
    Options

It seems that Android’s AlarmManager works a little differently on Samsung devices than it does on other Android devices. Our Autolock feature makes use of AlarmManager and testing indicates that this is causing the crashes on Samsung devices. We are currently testing a fix and plan to bring it into our beta soon. Once we have the fix in the beta, we will update this thread and let everyone know!

As a temporary workaround to prevent the crash from happening, you can go into 1Password’s Settings > Security and set Automatically lock to Never. If you are going to use this workaround, we recommend making sure that Lock on Exit is enabled. Having Automatically lock set to Never and Lock on Exit disabled would mean that 1Password will remain unlocked indefinitely (or at least until 1Password is kicked out of memory).

• mverde
    Options

We have published an updated beta with a fix for this issue to HockeyApp and we would really appreciate your help in confirming this fix on your devices! If you aren't already part of our beta family and would like to help us confirm this fix on your Samsung device, please sign up for our beta newsletter. Once you’re signed up, you will get an email with the download link to our latest beta.

• upbubble
    upbubble
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure what and where hockeyapp is. I went to the beta for android and saw the below beta version. Does this beta version contain the fix?

4.2 (build #20150404) - Released 2015-04-07

• upbubble
    upbubble
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Found hockeyapp and the beta. A little nervous about the warnings that say my phone could be damaged, so I chose not to install the beta. If I have to place my phone in jeopardy to fix 1password, it's probably not a program I need. Installed another and it works fine with the lollipop operating system. Shame...I was happy with 1password before the lollipop update.

• mverde
    Options

Hi @upbubble,

We currently distribute our beta through a third-party service called HockeyApp. It was recently acquired by Microsoft and is used by many software development companies for testing their apps prior to release. Our current beta version of 1Password for Android is version 4.2.1b3.

The warning that you are seeing is the warning that Android displays any time you enable installation from unknown sources (i.e. anything outside of Google Play). Whether you are installing software from Google Play or from a third-party source, you should always stop to consider whether you trust the source. In that sense, this warning is entirely appropriate.

While I would like to reassure you that we aren't aware of any way in which 1Password could possibly damage your phone, I do also need to mention that installing the beta version of 1Password is not without risk. While we do our best to test any changes internally before releasing them in a beta, there is still the possibility of new bugs being introduced.

If you are not comfortable with the possibility of new bugs causing user interface glitches or crashing in 1Password, then I would encourage you to wait for 4.2.1 to be released on Google Play rather than install the beta version. We are planning on releasing this update shortly.

This discussion has been closed.