Credit card fields ignored if not in English

1Password have never been able to fill in correctly the credit card fields besides the card number. Holder name, expiration date and security id are never filled if the merchant's page is not in English.
Here is an example of credit card form that never works. Only the card number is actually filled in. Other fields are ignored.
It would be a great improvement for non-English countries' users to fix this very frequent annoyance. The product is great, too bad it is still affected by such a basic issue after so many iterations.
Regards

Comments

• HI @BWidemann,

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrations with filling credit card items! We are working to improve credit card filling, and I'd love to test the sites that are giving you trouble. Would you mind listing the websites that aren't filling properly? Also, if you could let us know the steps to get to the credit card form, that would be awesome :)

• BWidemann
    BWidemann
    Community Member

Actually... none work, as soon as the form is not in English, 1Password breaks. Apple, Amazon, any bank site, whatever. If you care to look around, you'll find easily.
    I will report them here in the future. But I fear it is completely pointless, as the problem is clearly global and not site-related.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BWidemann: This is really strange. I know we have not only staff that use 1Password with non-English sites but plenty of customers as well. If you could tell us which OS, 1Password, and browser/extension versions you're using along with an example site we'd love to take a look and see if we can reproduce the issue so we can help! :)

• BWidemann
    BWidemann
    Community Member

OSX w. Safari and 1Password, everything is up to date.
    I just tried the first merchant site that crossed my mind: http://www.fnac.com, a large shop in France. Even the card number is missed. Go to the site, begin a purchase of whatever you like and continue until you reach the credit card page, and you'll see the problem (you don't have to actually buy to see it, just show the credit card form, pick your credit card in 1P and see the fields remain blank).
    Again, this is NOT related to that particular site. Any site in French will create problems, because in French the card's fields are not named according to whatever names 1Password is searching in the page's DOM. Sometimes the card number field work for some reason, but the expiration date, holder's name and security code are absolutely never handled correctly.
    Obviously this is a localization issue. I guess there should be a user-definable list of custom field names for each part of the credit card data. Modern browsers make it easy to find the field name in the page source, hence a technically-aware user could add the name to the list of additional matches. Of course, 1Password could politely ask the user to click on a "Send to AgileBits" button to grab the user-added string, verify it along with the related page's URL, the user's language, the site's language, and, if found relevant, add the string to the next general update for the benefit of everyone else.
    This would altogether work around the issue, make the user happy to have fixed his problem, and globally help making the product better.

• Hi @BWidemann,

Thanks for the detailed update! Sadly I can confirm that our international support for websites is somewhat lacking - this is one area that we really want to improve on.

Many international websites - including fnac - will actually use english names for the html attributes even though the labels may be in another language - and we should fill those sites perfectly fine. For fnac however, I can confirm that for some reason we are still failing to fill properly despite the English names. I will look into this issue - thanks for letting us know about it!

Now there are also websites where the html names are not in English, and we are working hard to support other languages as well. The best way we can do this is to find example websites that are not filling properly.

I'm happy to say that there is indeed a quick and easy way to report website filling issues right from the 1Password browser extension. Have a read through this guide to learn more.

Thanks again for your help with tracking down these website filling issues and I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing!

• BWidemann
    BWidemann
    Community Member

Thanks for the pointer. I'm not much willing to use a beta version though. If it's okay I'll post other broken forms I fell on here.

• Hi @BWidemann,

Either works fine for us - we really appreciate the information!

I see we need to update that guide - the website issue reporting feature is also now in the stable version of 1Password. Sorry for the confusion! :)

• BWidemann
    BWidemann
    Community Member

Got it. Thanks again for the pointer. Will do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BWidemann: On behalf of Meek, you are most welcome! I'm sorry that 1Password has so much trouble with many non-English forms, but with your help we can improve this in the future. Thanks for your patience and willingness to report these issues! :)

• BWidemann
    BWidemann
    Community Member

Hi, here is another one: https://console.online.net/fr/bill/bank/order
    Not sure you'll be easily able to check in there without buying a server, though. :)
    Not a single field filled.

• Hi @BWidemann,

Thanks for letting us know about that one too! You're right though - I can't access the credit card form without having an account there.

Would you be able to save the html form details for that page? To do so, visit the pate and then click File > Save Page As... (this will vary a bit depending on which browser you are using, but it should be similar).

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

A short note here once you've sent the file in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Thanks again for all your help!

• BWidemann
    BWidemann
    Community Member

Sorry, can't do that, the form is only accessible while buying. I will have to buy again there at some point (domain names, etc.) and if I get the same payment form (which is highly probable), I'll make sure to capture it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BWidemann: Thanks! That would be great. Be sure to pass them along if you encounter others as well, and we can use the information to improve credit card filling for you and everyone else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.