Storage of Professional Licensure

jelywalker
jelywalker
Community Member

Hello, I am a physician and would like to start using 1Password to store all the licensure and documentation that comes with my profession. I have my state medical license and multiple certifications (ACLS, ALSO, PALS, ATLS, etc) that have issue dates and expiration dates. It would also be great to be able to securely store a digital copy of the certification within 1Password. So far, the best way I can figure to do this is to use the "Outdoor License" category when creating a new entry. It has most of the relevant fields and does allow me to attach a PDF of the file. Would there be a better way to store these documents?

Also, it would be really great if there was a way within 1Password to set reminders that would pop up when I open 1Password. For instance "your ACLS certification will expire in two months".

thanks!

jelywalker

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jelywalker,

It's safe to say I don't think we have a category titled entirely appropriately for what you're after. I wonder if membership though might seem better titled? Of course it's possibly quite doubtful you're using the Outdoor License for anything else (like myself).

What I would say is no matter what decision you make all the types will allow you to store attachments and all will allow you to add custom sections and fields for you to store whatever additional information you would like to see added. I think you're way of storing a digital copy using a PDF is the best way forward, that or an image format like PNG but both are cross-platform compatible, viewable on an iOS device for example if you also used 1Password there.

As you're already aware, there isn't a reminder function in 1Password but I have added your request to the existing feature request as you're not the only one that would like to see this. Maybe a create iCal entry option or a way to create a smart folder based on expiry date?

ref: OPM-1645

• jelywalker
    jelywalker
    Community Member

Thank you! That was helpful. Would you also be able to request a new category to be created (like "licensure" as I'm sure many professionals from lawyers to plumbers have licensure that needs to be stored) or possibly even the ability to create your own categories or rename categories? It seems it would make the program more robust in general.

thanks again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@jelywalker, on behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome!

Additional (or custom) categories are among our most requested features and although I can't promise anything, we can certainly pass your suggestion along to our developers. If you need anything else, just let us know! :)

ref: OPM-1643

• jelywalker
    jelywalker
    Community Member

Great, thanks! One other piece of functionality... For the PDF files that I have attached to my entries, let's say a copy of my ACLS certification. I would like to be able to drag them from 1Password and drop them onto an email to send as an attachment. Currently, if I click on the email button within 1Password, it only sends a link and not the actual PDF. Functionality would be greatly improved if I could drag the PDF from one password and drop it into an email.

thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jelywalker,

I'll have to investigate this once I'm back in front of another machine. I know I've heard of reports where people can't drag emails from Mail to 1Password without first going via Finder and I wonder if this is related (but in reverse). Once I've done a little testing I'll file the appropriate ticket.

This discussion has been closed.