File Sync'ing

hbombs
hbombs
Community Member

Hace a question about file Sync.

So I run 1P on my Mac and Android phone. I don't care to use FeliNos regardless of how safe those transfers might be.

I originally populated 1P-Android by copying my agilekeychain from my Mac to SD card then choosing the location as the Sync folder. So far that worked perfect. I've since created a few new entries and updated others on each device.

Question is now what? I'm afraid to copy the Sync file back over to my Mac and use the "Import" function on the Mac app for fear of duplicates.

So, should I overwrite the Sync file that I started with on my Mac with the copy from the SD card?

If so, would the changes be truly Synchronized and once some just copy/replace the version on the SD card again for changes & updates to occur in both directions?

Comments

• hbombs
    hbombs
    Community Member

Stupid spellcheck. Was suppose to read DropBox, not FeliNos.. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

• We provide local folder sync on Android as an “advanced” option that allows users to manage their 1Password data with alternative sync solutions. Some of our users maintain two-way sync using external applications and some use it as a read-only method. Manually maintaining two-way sync on the Android device using folder sync can get very tricky.

If you replace your data folder with a data folder from your secondary device, all changes from your secondary devices will get merged and changes to existing files will be overwritten with the files from your secondary device.

The best solution I would recommend is to keep your Android device as your read-only platform for your 1Password data. Make all changes, including editing and adding new items, on your Mac and then replace the data folder on your Android device. This way, you won’t run the risk of losing partial data by replacing the 1Password data folder on your Android device.

If you would prefer not to have to manage the data folder yourself, then you may find the Dropbox syncing option more appealing. We are also working on Wi-Fi sync that allows 1Password to sync locally to your other devices on the same WiFi network. We will have more news to share on this in the near future.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.