Husband & Wife not in Sync

Options
Dan_The_Umbrella_Man
Dan_The_Umbrella_Man
Community Member

I purchased 1Password from Apple (I guess through iTunes) and have it installed on my MacBook Pro, iPad, and iPhone 6. My wife has an iPhone 6 and an iPad Mini and I would like her to use 1Password on her devices. Do I have to purchcase 1Password for her devices? If this is the case, how do I sync the data that is stored on my devices onto her devices?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You can get her hooked up for no extra cost if you are both on Yosemite and have signed up for Family Sharing. If you use separate Apple IDs, you won't be able to share your data over iCloud, but you could with Dropbox.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Not quite "no extra cost". 1PW on iOS is free in its basic version, whether or not you have Family Sharing. There is an in-app purchase for extra features but Apple's restrictions mean that family sharing does not apply to this, and the two of you have to make separate purchases unless you use the same Apple ID.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@danco is correct abou the iOS version. Sorry to have missed that.

• Dan_The_Umbrella_Man
    Dan_The_Umbrella_Man
    Community Member
    Options

O. K. Thanks for the help! I'm not very "tech savvy," so please excuse the additonal questions. First, we do have separate Apple I. D.'s so I will have to sync via Dropbox, which I am already doing on my devices. I suppose that I will have to install Dropbox on her devices, is that correct? Secondly, will I have to purchase 1Password for her devices?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

You will need to install Dropbox on her Macs, if she ever gets one of those. It's required for the Mac version to work. You don't have to have the Dropbox application installed on iOS devices, though. You will need to use the appropriate Dropbox password while connecting her iOS devices to sync.

The iOS version is free to download and use in its basic form. If she wants to use the more advanced Pro features, she will need to purchase that as an in-app purchase, unless she uses the same Apple ID as you do for her purchases from Apple.

I assume you will want to share your vault with her via Dropbox. Here are some instructions: Share a vault.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Dan_The_Umbrella_Man,

It looks like hawkmoth and danco have done a great job pointing you in the right direction here, but if you need any further help please let us know!

• Dan_The_Umbrella_Man
    Dan_The_Umbrella_Man
    Community Member
    Options

I still have not resloved this situation. Please let me recap: I purchased 1P for my iPhone 6 and MBP. My wife and I share the MBP and have separate logins and separated Apple I.D's. She owns an iPad Mini and an iPhone 6. 1P shows up on her login on the MBP but is not synced with my login on the MBP, as it has 8 fewer items than mine. (How that happened, I don't even have a clue.) She does not have 1P on her iPhone or iPad Mini. I was syncing via Dropbox but have recently noticed that to sync my devices via the Wi-Fi in my home is easier. My three devices are synced and agree with each other. Here's my original question: Do I have to purchcase 1Password for her devices? (I'm willing to do that if that will solve this problem expeditiously.) Next question: How do I sync the 1P on her login on the MBP with mine? Once I get 1P on her iPhone and iPad, can they be synced via Wi-Fi so that all of our devices agree? Finally, am I correct to say that only one of us should make changes to 1P and then syc all the devices? Thanks again for all of your help; I'm sure that it's far above your paygrade to create a "happy home" but this is exactly what you'll do once this problem is solved because I'm sure that you'll agree that it's not good for a husband and wife "out of sync."

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

My wife and I share the MBP and have separate logins and separated Apple I.D's.

If you purchased 1Password for Mac through the Mac store then if you have setup family sharing then you need 1 license, otherwise you'd need two.
    If you purchased it through the Agilebits Web Store then you need 1 license as Agilebits allow you share your license with your family.

Since you and your wife have different accounts you will need to have 1 1Password for iOS license each.

I was syncing via Dropbox but have recently noticed that to sync my devices via the Wi-Fi in my home is easier.

In what way?

How do I sync the 1P on her login on the MBP with mine? Once I get 1P on her iPhone and iPad, can they be synced via Wi-Fi so that all of our devices agree?

It's possible but it's a pain in the neck. Dropbox is far more efficient and convenient for the number of devices you're talking about.

Finally, am I correct to say that only one of us should make changes to 1P and then syc all the devices?

If you insist on using Wi-fi sync then that would probably be sensible. If you use Dropbox then the syncs are quick enough that either of you could change the vault at any time with little chance of a conflict.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

My wife and I share the MBP and have separate logins and separated Apple I.D's.

@Dan_The_Umbrella_Man: Here are Apple's instructions for setting up Family Sharing for your Apple IDs. Just to reiterate though, that in-app purchases are not shared via Family Sharing -- only purchases of individual apps themselves.

I was syncing via Dropbox but have recently noticed that to sync my devices via the Wi-Fi in my home is easier.

Personally, I prefer Dropbox to Wi-Fi Sync since it just happens in the background and I don't have to worry about it, but so long as you have a single Mac or PC to use as the Wi-Fi Sync server for your iOS devices (multiple computers are not supported by Wi-Fi Sync) feel free to use that method if it is more convenient for you!

Finally, am I correct to say that only one of us should make changes to 1P and then syc all the devices?

Both Dropbox and Wi-Fi Sync are bidirectional, but with Dropbox the server handles all of that, whereas you would need to remember to do the Wi-Fi Sync after you make changes on one or more of your devices for all of them to be on the same page again.

Just as a quick example, if I use Wi-Fi Sync between my Mac, iPad, and iPhone, when I make a change to an item on my iPad, I will need to Wi-Fi Sync between the iPad and the Mac and then again between the Mac and the iPhone in order for the iPhone to have the new information. So it works best between just a couple devices, and grows exponentially more complex the more you add into the mix: if I edit the same item on the iPad and iPhone before syncing both with the Mac, I'll have to resolve the sync conflict by choosing the version of the item I want to keep, and so on.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Dan_the_Umbrella_Man:
    The conditions of the appstore are the result of Apple policy. (Which of course you already know). Purely my opinion: its evolving as they change their services to fit new conditions.

The concept of “ownership” may be different in your household, than Apple’s.

Just because your wife has her own Apple ID does de facto not prevent you from placing ‘mostly her' machine under your, uh household umbrella. I ran into a similar situation myself some time ago. When you buy a device for the wife, it feels a little presumptuous to attach it to your account. Sort of a “half-given” device. Yet it may be shared.

If you have a different application count between machines, its probably because most items were bought under one account & a few under the second. Or you/she are logging into your account & syncing with her machine & its automatically updating only the software bought under that account, if they are both OS X.

The other possibility resulting in a count mismatch is that some of the applications are iOS only, or OS X only. Or the specific app may only be configured for iPhone & not the iPad, so it won’t load onto the iPad.

Activating Family Sharing requires a credit card entered full time in the master/parent/managing account. Not a problem for most people, but could be a change if you have used iTunes gift cards up to this time for purchases.

Getting the Pro version of 1Password over the standard version is worth it, imo. That’s what I wound up doing rather than quibble for a very long time over what wasn’t a lot of money.

Edit: Ouch. Didn't realize this thread was a month old until I first posted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The conditions of the appstore are the result of Apple policy. (Which of course you already know). Purely my opinion: its evolving as they change their services to fit new conditions.
    The concept of “ownership” may be different in your household, than Apple’s.

@RunInCircles: Indeed! This is why I try to give as much information as possible, since not everyone handles these things in quite the same way...although I run the risk of overwhelming people with too much at times. :sweat:

Activating Family Sharing requires a credit card entered full time in the master/parent/managing account. Not a problem for most people, but could be a change if you have used iTunes gift cards up to this time for purchases.

This was an adjustment for me. I buy a lot of iTunes credit since it can be gotten at a discount sometimes. But Family Sharing purchases ignore iTunes credit completely and charge the credit card. Definitely something to keep in mind with Family Sharing.

Thanks for sharing some of your own experiences! :)

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Brenty,

Outstanding: Its a fine skill to be able to dial back information. I gathered that you had done so.
    I realize I probably went overboard, overstepped–since its up to individuals to risk what will work & what won’t on other sites & policies. They have their own forum at Apple for questions relating to their software.

No guarantees on anything I’m saying. Mileage may vary & there are better places to verify the information. I saw this thread some weeks ago & managed to ignore it. Looking for some answers myself recently has me browsing other posts & its hard to avoid commenting. Sorry if I’ve gone a little verbose.

One thing to qualify: I’ve not used a credit card in family sharing but a few times.
    It is my understanding that if a gift card is used, the charge goes half against the gift card & half against the credit card.
    That’s detail that really ought to be got at Apple’s sites, since its their policy.

As for rolling back on topic:
    Again, the upgrade to the top of the line versions of 1Password are worth it, despite my being skittish about it at first. It had gotten to be a nightmare managing tons of passwords without it. If it works as it should, its easy to overlook its value.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Its a fine skill to be able to dial back information. I gathered that you had done so.

@RunInCircles: I do my best. But I suspect it's more of an art, or I'd have mastered it long ago! :blush:

And it's definitely appreciated that you've shared this information, as it might help others!

Again, the upgrade to the top of the line versions of 1Password are worth it, despite my being skittish about it at first. It had gotten to be a nightmare managing tons of passwords without it. If it works as it should, its easy to overlook its value.

Thank you so much for the kind words! But you are right: our goal -- ultimately and paradoxically -- is to make 1Password transparently beneficial. But at the same time, it is lovely when folks take a step back and appreciate for a moment how much care we put into it...so long as we're not distracting you from what's important in life for too long. ;)

This discussion has been closed.