[upgrade-ios] Not able to import data from version 3.7.2 to current v 5.4.1

Options
jeffiebean
jeffiebean
Community Member
edited April 2015 in iOS

I have followed these instructions, and am still not able to import my data from version 3.7.2.

I set the passwords the same for both versions.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/5/en/topic/upgrading-from-legacy-versions

I have erased the new version and downloaded it again, and gone through all the steps a few times.

Running iOS version 8.3, 1Password 5.4.1, trying to upgrade from 1Password 3.7.2. Not syncing with anything.

each time, after being prompted by 1Password3 to import into the new app, I click Open in 1Password, which brings up version 5. Once I enter the master password for v5, it them prompts me again for a password "Unlock your data from version 3 to finish importing".
Once I enter the password, it prompts me again with the same thing, so I enter the password again, but then I am brought to a blank version 5 vault.
No data has been imported.

I've restarted the phone, deleted and reinstalled the version 5 app, all with the same results.

any ideas?
thanks.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jeffiebean,

Sorry to hear about the trouble upgrading from v3 to v5. We have updated instructions here, which also include a set of directions for if the primary method does not work:

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/

I hope that helps. Please let us know.

Ben

• jeffiebean
    jeffiebean
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I just tried that method as well, but at end up at the same prompt once I open version5, asking to enter my password to finish importing the data. But, still no data imported.

• JeroenR
    JeroenR
    Community Member
    Options

Yep same problem here. When I open the new version it prompts with password to import. However no imports are done.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

It is possible to 1Password 3 for iOS to get into an odd state where importing will not work and the workaround we've found is to reboot the iOS device:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Please try that, verify your data is all still accessible in 1Password 3 for iOS, and then try the import again. If that still fails, please send us a diagnostics report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Ben

• jeffiebean
    jeffiebean
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

thanks. I sent the diagnostic report. My support ID is [#EFM-99726-157]. I just realized it got sent to support+ios@agilebits.com instead of support+forum.

Jeff

• Ben
    Options

Thanks Jeff. Got it. I took a quick look through it but don't see anything jumping out at me. I'm going to ask one of my colleagues to take a second look at it. :)

ref: EFM-99726-157

• jeffiebean
    jeffiebean
    Community Member
    Options

I got it to import correctly, thanks to an email exchange with Kyle @ AgileBits.

So it turns out that even though I thought I had set the passwords the same between the versions, I had NOT actually done so. Version 3 has a separate master passcode that is different than the PIN. Version 5 was prompting me for that passcode, not the PIN, and I just never realized they were different.

Once I changed the Master Passcode in version 3, version 5 was able to complete the import.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jeffiebean thanks for the update! Glad to hear you got everything working with Kyle's help!

This discussion has been closed.