Crash on opening existing vault [Windows 8.1]

cksg
cksg
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've converted my agilekeychain-vault to opvault.
In 1Password for Windows 4.3.2 Beta 565 everything works fine.

Now I'm lauching the new Windows "Modern" App and try to "open an existing folder-sync vault".
After selecting the ".opvault"-Folder (not "default"). The app briefly displays the app-settings and crashes afterwards.

After reopening the app, everything is set to first launch.

Any ideas?

Btw: So happy, finally support for Windows 8+ is coming.

Comments

• binsk
    binsk
    Community Member

I would say +1, but my experience slightly differs. Posting a comment here in case they're related.

Background:
    I created an opvault in DropBox using 1Password 4 for Windows, populated it with "export-agilekeychain-to-1PIF, import-to-opvault" method, and successfully detected and opened it within the Alpha.

Repro: Upon opening it, however, I get the Windows ellipses to show the vault is opening/processing, and then the client crashes back to the Start screen. The settings aren't lost with the crash, i.e. it remembers the Dropbox opvault and settings, but I can never get it to open for more than a few seconds, and I never see anything more than the folders within it. Happens 100% of the time.

• binsk
    binsk
    Community Member

Follow up: Moved the file out of DropBox to another folder on my system. It now opens and the data is visible.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

Thanks for the follow-up, @binsk. I hope it'll help Dev figure out the problem.

• @cksg & @binsk, thanks for reporting this crashes to us. The way Windows Store/Windows Phone Store works is that we get crash reports 3 days later. Clearly this is not as fast as we would like. Can you send us diagnostics report at support+windowsmodern@agilebits.com please?

If you are on the tablet, just start the app, don't even need to unlock it, go to the charms (Windows+C key), Settings, Diagnostic reports.

If you are on the phone, you will need to unlock it first, then at the bottom bar (where ... is) select Settings, Diagnostics.

Once again thanks for your help!

• cksg
    cksg
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Report is sent!

Btw as I'm reading the diagnostic report. -> I'm using a german Windows 8.1.
    So "Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden." is "The system cannot find the specified file. "

My opvault is located in the subfolder "1Password" of my userfolder "Documents".

Hope it helps.

• binsk
    binsk
    Community Member

I no longer have the diagnostics report. I hope it sent, but I suspect that it was lost in the multiple attempts I had made to repro the issue. I will send any further crash reports right away.

I tried to reproduce the problem using the exact same steps this morning, but I was unable to do so. Instead of crashing, this morning I get a "bad vault format" error when attempting to open a file from Dropbox (so no crash, it doesn't attempt to open the file at all). If I move that file to a different folder, I can open it just fine using the Folders section.

However, in my repro attempts, I noticed a new issue. Even after erasing all settings, the opvaults in Dropbox do not appear to be dynamically refreshed, nor does a manual refresh bring my replacement filename into play. I killed the 1PasswordAlpha task, but still, the old filename was cached and the new opvault I created was not visible. Might be a known issue (I haven't surfed the forums this morning), but I wanted to bring it up.

• @binsk, I do believe we improved something that could cause the crash, it will be available in the coming update (would be interesting to see how update is happening in the real world :) ). We will double check that crashes once we got dumps from Windows Stores.

As for the new issue, I'm not sure I've got what you expected to be refreshed? Currently we have chosen to avoid any caching as much as possible and ask Dropbox for the list of folders/files every time you open Manage Vaults page or hit Refresh button in bottom bar.

• binsk
    binsk
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

That's not what I'm seeing. I was also to repro with these steps.

1. Use 1Password 4 for Windows to create a demo vault, 1PasswordAlpha2.opvault and save in Dropbox folder.
    2. Exit 1Password 4 for Windows.
    3. Open 1PasswordAlpha2.opvault in 1PasswordAlpha using Dropbox menu - Success.
    4. Open 1Password 4 for Windows, create second demo vault 1PasswordAlpha3.opvault, save to Dropbox Folder.
    5. Exit 1Password 4 for Windows.
    6. Access 1PasswordAlpha Manage Vaults screen.

Expected: See both 1PasswordAlpha2.opvault and 1PasswordAlpha3.opvault in the Dropbox section.
    Actual: See only 1PasswordAlpha2.opvault to select. Hitting refresh does not cause the file to be displayed.

• @binsk, can you please verify you have 1PasswordAlpha3.opvault in your Dropbox on web under same user? 1Password Alpha talk to Dropbox via web API only (pretty much ignoring Dropbox on desktop if there is one).

• binsk
    binsk
    Community Member

When I checked again, 3 had shown up. I tried creating a new opvault 4. 4 shows green in the folder, 4's on the website. No dice on refresh, just 2 and 3.

• Hmm, I believe there is a lag and 4th will come up a bit later. We will try to figure out how long it might take.

• cksg
    cksg
    Community Member

Update:

• Changing the location of opvault didn't help. Neither "C:\" nor "Desktop"
    • Well, but reinstalling the app fixes the issue for me. :)

Now the same file and location is working absolutely fine.

So, I guess the app wasn't really reset to default after each crash.

• @cksg, I think we've fixed that, lets wait till update come and we will double check crash reports from Store too. Thanks for you help!

This discussion has been closed.