Displaying the master password while you type it

SpikeGuy
SpikeGuy
Community Member

I did a search for this topic and found a discussion, but I couldn't seem to add to that one.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/23060/display-master-password-while-typing

I'd ask that you please reconsider adding this feature. I don't care how easy to type a password is. When you're typing over 20 characters it is quite easy to make a mistake. Since I can't see what I'm typing I have to erase the whole thing and start over. It's incredibly frustrating. I'm sitting in my office with control over who sees my screen. You are not protecting me from anything, just adding frustration. Keepass got around this by masking the master password by default, but also having a padlock button on the login screen that you can push to toggle the display on/off. That seems like the best of both worlds to me. Love your product but this part of it makes me want to pull my hair out.

Comments

• Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this @SpikeGuy.

You make some very good points. As long as the Master Password is not visible by default and you have to explicitly show it, I don't have any security concerns. I would personally expect to see this as a Reveal item within the context menu when ctrl-clicking on the Master Password field.

With that said, implementing this is not a trivial matter. We'd have to replace the secure field used for the Master Password with a normal text field, and allow you to go back to a secure field. It's certainly doable but it's just enough work to give me pause. Our dev team are all busy on several projects and I don't have anyone to give this to at this moment. With that said, I have opened an issue so we can track this and try to get it into a future update.

Cheers!

• SpikeGuy
    SpikeGuy
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response and for considering it for a future release. 1Password is something I love and use every day. I've also gifted it to several family members. Keep up the good work!

• Thank you so much for the kind works, @SpikeGuy! Messages like yours keep us excited and moving forward :)

• pomme4moi
    pomme4moi
    Community Member

+1

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Duly noted @pomme4moi :smile:

• askewchan
    askewchan
    Community Member

+1