Updating 1Password doesn't work, Wrong AppleID in popup

Options
jocurran
jocurran
Community Member

When I try to update my 1Password to the latest version (5.3, rel. 6 Apr), a popup appears asking for my AppleID password. My wife's appleID is in the username field and it's grayed out. I can not overwrite the username and when I use her appleID password the next popup mentions that her account can not perform the upgrade. I've tried many attempts to fix this, signing out on both accounts but I can't remove her appleID username. Any suggestions?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@jocurran

Usually for me that greyed out ID indicates that was the original ID used to make the purchase. That is why you cannot over write it as Apple is telling you it was the account used to purchase the app. Therefore it has to update the app from that account. I have seen the same issue even when using family sharing. I hated signing in and out of accounts. So after family sharing came out I blew all my iOS and Mac apps away. On a clean install of Yosemite too and then downloaded each from my account anew. Ensuring I would not see the dreaded other account sign in again. Nope it still happens and personally I think its an issue on Apples end...

But I am getting off topic here kinda.

As to it not updating, try signing out of the main store window and then sign in with her ID. Download the update. Also try quitting the 1Password app prior to the update process. I did have this same issue with another app some time ago and I just waited a few days to do the update. But having said that you have already waited more than what I did.

*Do not forget to switch back to your account in the main windows.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jocurran,

Hopefully thightower's post helped and we'd love to hear how you get along. Given you're on a Mac you can at least try deleting the application too and forcing a download of the entire application from your Purchases tab in the App Store application. I say that in contrast to iOS where deleting an app deletes all of its locally stored data. This does not happen on the Mac.

Please do keep us informed.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

Thanks for mentioning Given you're on a Mac you can at least try deleting the application too and forcing a download of the entire application from your Purchases tab in the App Store application. that can indeed work but saldy in my case it eventually returned to the same behavior.

However that should allow @jocurran to get the updated version.

• jocurran
    jocurran
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, deleting the app is always a bit scary but it worked fine and it still had all my data! I didn't even need to use my 1password exports that I did just in case.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jocurran,

Now as you can see this didn't eliminate the problem entirely for thightower so we may hear from you again. There's something else we can consider next time so if it does come back please post in this thread and add @littlebobbytables to your message so I see it.

On a positive though I'm glad to hear you're up and running again with the latest version :smile: One of the aspects of Macs that I do like is how the majority of applications out there are self contained bundles. It makes replacing a damaged copy very easy and with many of them, 1Password included, there is no risk to your data in doing so. I like to be extra cautious so if I'd been concerned at all you'd have been falling over backups before I'd recommend you proceed :wink:

If you have any further questions or issues please don't hesitate to post :smile:

This discussion has been closed.