does browser extension works without desktop app?

Hi,
I'm using 1password 3 on a Mac. Then I use 1password browser extension on Chrome on the same laptop.

When I work on another computer without the desktop app - at work for example - and I log in to Chrome I can see 1password extension.

It ask me continuosly for log in and I wonder if it work or not...

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JOUY,

1Password 3 and the 1Password 3 extension worked very differently from how it does now. The old approach meant the 1Password 3 extension would maintain an encrypted copy of your vault inside your browser's support file structure. All going well this database was constantly synchronised with the main application but it was possible where the two would become disconnected. Now the 1Password 3 extension would continue to work and even save new items but these items were sadly isolated inside that specific browser.

Now Chrome seems to synchronise all sorts of data if you log in with a Google account. This is something I explicitly don't want my browsers doing so I don't know exactly how much it syncs. If it has synced the extension database (which is encrypted) then in theory it could very well work on this other computer. I'd say you have nothing to lose in trying at least and I certainly would be curious to know too.

We did away with this whole approach in 1Password 4 because of the possibility of the extension disconnecting from the main application. Instead the extension merely acts as a broker between 1Password mini and the browser. This keeps a single source for your vault and no un-synced items.

• JOUY
    JOUY
    Community Member

Thx a lot for your quick reply!!!

This is what happen... see attached image. It doesn't work....

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JOUY,

It would seem Chrome has synchronised the extension but not the extension's data then. Thank you for reporting back :smile:

This discussion has been closed.