Mac and iOS versions of 1Password sold separately

Options
jfal
jfal
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Apple store is charging me $49.99 for a license that was supposed to be valid for all apple devices.

Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Am I missing anything?

Yes: 1P for Mac and 1P for iOS are completely separate products. In other words, if you need 1P for Mac you have to buy it. The cost of it has nothing to do with whether or not you have 1P for iOS.

You can buy 1P for Mac either from the Mac App Store or direct from the AgileBits store. There are two things to bear in mind:

1. If you ever want to use iCloud to sync 1P data between your Mac and iPhone you must buy 1P from the Mac App Store because the version from the AgileBits store doesn't support iCloud sync (following changes made by Apple on the launch of OS X Yosemite). Both versions support sync of 1P data by either local wifi or Dropbox.
    2. If you have owned an earlier version of 1P for Mac you may be entitled to an upgrade discount if you buy from the AgileBits store. That discount won't be available if you buy from the Mac App Store.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jfal,

Hopefully you found Stephen_C's post informative.

Currently there isn't a way to bundle iOS and Mac apps, even if both are purchased via Apple's stores. Apple very recently introduced the idea of bundling iOS apps together but this was recent and maybe in time it will expand to allow MAS/iTunes bundles.

There has been some confusion here which is why we have in our 1Password for iOS description in iTunes.

Award winning 1Password also available for Mac, PC, and more, sold separately

Some software goes down the route where the iOS app is merely a helper app to the paid purchase on your Mac. Without the Mac version the iOS is useless. With 1Password the idea is each platform is an independent version which doesn't require other platforms to work and you only purchase the platforms that you need. I won't go as far as saying the various platforms have feature parity but it is the goal.

You may very well have some follow up questions regarding this so please don't hesitate in asking.

• jfal
    jfal
    Community Member
    Options

A feedback, not exactly a question.

When I purchased the license my understanding was one license per household and platform.

I am learning about true cost implications as I go through the path of installing the app across all my devices, not a good thing. I am sure there are more of your customers out there with the same understanding.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

When I purchased the license my understanding was one license per household and platform.

I'm assuming you're talking about 1P for Mac (as opposed to 1P for iOS).

If you buy from the Mac App Store you can install 1P on any computer which uses the same Apple ID as the one used to make the purchase (or which is part of a family sharing arrangement under OS X Yosemite).

If you buy from the AgileBits store the licence terms are set out here and include the following:

Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device. Each user and each platform requires a license. Licenses can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household. Licenses can not be transfered or re-sold.

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It seems that you are thinking of "platform" as referring to the manufacturer, which is Apple in your case.

Whereas AgileBits meant, and do say in several places, that iOS is one platform and Mac OS is a different platform. Hence two separate purchases.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jfal,

I'm sorry for any confusion about licenses, but hopefully the others here have helped to clear that up. Just to reiterate, the Mac and iOS versions of 1Password are sold separately. Because Mac computers and iOS devices run different operating systems, they use different apps. Apple doesn't allow developers to bundle Mac and iOS apps together, so each requires a separate purchase.

A single purchase of 1Password for Mac allows you to use it on all your Macs. It is available from either the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store (the iCloud sync option is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac).

1Password 5 for iOS is a free download, and offers free basic features. The Pro Features in 1Password 5 for iOS can be unlocked with an in-app purchase. You would only need to purchase the Pro Features once and can unlock them in 1Password 5 on all your iOS 8 devices associated with your Apple ID.

We have more information about how 1Password licenses work here: What licenses do I need to use 1Password on all my devices?

Please let us know if you have more questions about that - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.