Feature request: highlight search key words

Options
tonyJChristopher
tonyJChristopher
Community Member

I've been a customer since 2010. I've asked for this feature in the past ... still waiting for it. I found that someone else in the forum has asked for this same feature. I think many (most?) 1PW users will find, like me, that this feature is VERY helpful for Secure Notes. I have many long notes containing info about my kids, parents, etc. .... it would be so so helpful if the search term were highlighted when a resulting note is viewed.

You may not have many users asking for this, but, as Steve Jobs used to say, users don't know what they want. Any users who has one or more Secure Notes with 150 or more words in it would benefit greatly from this feature. Also, this feature must be an easy one to create. Please don't respond to this with "I'll pass it on to development" ... have heard that too many times before. Please, just do it ... you'll get lots of good karma ;-)

Thanks!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tonyJChristopher,

It isn't quite what you're asking for but on the Mac we do have a way of searching a Secure Note both in read only and edit mode.

If you're a keyboard shortcut user at all then you may know that if you use ⌘F it normally brings focus to the search bar in the Item List. If you first click on the Secure note's text, even in read-only mode and then use ⌘F you will see the following.

You do have to resort to using the mouse at this point to go forwards and backwards with the buttons as enter will close the search window but it will highlight the current found instance as you can see.

The reason why we often say we'll pass it on to development is we can't make any promises. Even if a feature makes it into the beta it doesn't guarantee it makes it to the next public release. WebDAV is a prime example where we got bitten making commitments we were unable to keep. In support we do our best to guide the team in the troubles the users are experiencing and what they want 1Password to do but that's where our influence stops. While I understand why "I'll pass it on to development" may be frustrating we figure that's the lesser of the two evils between that and the disappointment or anger if we failed to keep a promise.

ref: OPM-1001

Find.png 156.4K
  • tonyJChristopher
    tonyJChristopher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!!! Never occurred to me to click in the text of the note

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tonyJChristopher,

I think I stumbled upon it myself whenever I first found it. While I don't use Secure Notes extensively myself it isn't hard to imagine that at a certain size you need a way to work with all that text so I'm glad I was able to make searching notes a little easier for you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.