Bizarre Chrome extension bug - deleting my master password as I'm typing it at random intervals

Options
sjforman
sjforman
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Recently observed the following, very frustrating behavior:

• Type cmd + \
  • Start typing master password
  • After a seemingly unpredictable amount of time and/or number of characters typed...
  • The whole string gets highlighted...
  • And then, of course, deleted as I continue typing

Never seen anything like this, and I thought you might be skeptical, so I made a video.

Any suggestions? (Already tried removing and re-installing the Chrome extension.)

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sjforman,

That's very strange, I haven't heard of that happening before, and it hasn't happened to me in Chrome (or any other browser, for that matter). Thank you very much for the video, it really helps to see exactly what happens! To help us figure out what's going on, can you please let us know a few more details:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What version of Chrome are you using?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome? (In Chrome, go to Window > Extensions)
    • Have you tried this in other browsers? And if so, does the same thing happen?
    • Do you have any other extension installed in Chrome which might be conflicting/causing this to happen?
    • Does the same thing happen when typing your master password in the main 1Password app?
    • Does the same thing happen when typing in the Search field of the 1Password extension?

Thanks!

• sjforman
    sjforman
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,

I'm not seeing this today, so perhaps just a ghost in the machine. Feel free to close for now and I'll reopen if I observe it again.

For the record:
    * OS X 10.10.3 (14D136)
    * 1Password 5 Version 5.3 (530032)
    * Agile Web Store
    * Chrome Version 42.0.2311.90 (64-bit)
    * 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.3.1.90

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sjforman,

Hopefully just a ghost in the machine :smile:

We'll leave this thread open in case you do observe this again.

Can I ask, do you work in an office-like environment at all and are there any pranksters? I only ask as I recently learnt about a PhD student I knew from a few years ago who connected the wireless receiver for a mouse to another's keyboard and then spent a good couple of years toying with the person. Your situation reminded me of this and I realised that bluetooth might make it quite easy on a Mac. I haven't tried it, just the first thing that shot into my head upon reading your initial report. In fairness I was no better - fond memories :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.