Can't move 1P to ~/Applications?

Options
Diggory
Diggory
Community Member

Hello,
I have 1Password for Mac (AppStore / Version 5.3).
If I try and move the app to the ~/Applications folder rather than the /Applications folder, then the app hangs on launch and eventually says that it cannot reach the helper app.

I tried following the troubleshooting tips, including rebooting and reinstalling the app, but it only seems happy when it lives in the root /Applications folder.

Is this just me, or can anyone else replicate this bug?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Diggory,

It isn't just you, it behaves exactly the same way for myself too. I can't tell if it's a bug on our part or some weird sandboxing issue specifically relating to helper apps inside application bundles. I tried dragging another application and didn't have this issue. I know the use of a helper app, in this case 1Password mini, isn't common so we do come across scenarios that most of the other applications I use don't.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'll ask around and see if the devs can bring any insight to the table :smile:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Diggory, Why do you want 1PW in ~/Applications? It works fine, as you say, in /Applications, which is where it is intended to live.

Do you not have administrator access? Or are you assuming that your vault would be visible to other users? I can't myself see any good reason not to keep it in /Applications.

• Diggory
    Diggory
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Danco.
    I like to keep my apps separate from the OS apps. That way if I need to reinstall the OS, I can just drag and drop one folder to re-instate my user apps.

• Diggory
    Diggory
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for looking into it @littlebobbytables
    Great username btw. That particular xkcd strip always makes me grin.

• Hi @Diggory,

Unfortunately 1Password doesn't like living in ~/Applications. It seems that when it's there OS X fails to find the mini living inside of the app, which is the brains of the operation. If the mini doesn't launch (which is 100% controlled by the system), the app will seem to just hang as you're seeing.

I'm not sure that there's much more that we could do other than what we've already done... short of completely rewriting the relationship between the main 1Password app and the mini.

Rick

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Diggory, Apple gives you the option of a ~/Applications folder, but clearly prefers users to keep all their applications in /Applications. I can see why you like the alternative, but a fair number of applications won't work that way, and most default to installing into /Applications.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Diggory, I hope the information from the others here was helpful for you! Just let us know if you have more questions or need anything else. We're always happy to help. :)

• Diggory
    Diggory
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all your responses.

Perhaps it's worth filing a Radar? ~/Applications is a first class citizen for locations for Applications.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Apple is definitely aware of this problem, although I don't know if they have any plans to do anything about it in the near future. As danco mentioned, this affects some other apps as well, not just 1Password. The main Applications folder is where apps from the Mac App Store are installed, so Apple seems to prefer that over ~/Applications.

I'm sorry we don't have a better answer for you about all that! Hopefully Apple will improve this in the future. We're here for you if you have more questions!

This discussion has been closed.