version update fails

Options
ChuckinNihon
ChuckinNihon
Community Member

The update to 1Password 5.3.1 fails, though everything else related to the internet is working OK today. I've attached a screen shot of the update page dialog box, something about a status code seems to interfer with it. Can someone explain the problem?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There have been some recent hiccups with 1P for Mac beta updates for some people so your problem may be linked to those. You can see if this manual link works for you or alternatively try what is suggested in the first part of the AgileBits post to which I've linked.

Stephen

• Hi @ChuckinNihon,

Are you still having this problem? It looks like it's getting a 404 status code, meaning the file wasn't found on the server. It's possible that you got the update notice before the file had the chance to make its way to all of our servers for download. Could you try again and let us know?

Thanks

Rick

• ChuckinNihon
    ChuckinNihon
    Community Member
    Options

Rick and Stephen,
    I still have the same problem and same error message as before when downloading the update from within 1Password. I was able to download the update from the manual link the Stephen noted. However, when I double-click on the ZIP file in my download box or on my desktop, I end up with what appears to be a duplicate of the ZIP file, not an installer.

1Password-5.3.1 2.zip.cpgz
    1Password-5.3.1-2.zip

If I right-click on the file and point at the application Mac's OS X uses to deal with ZIP files, the same thing happen.

Suggestions?

Chuck

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ChuckinNihon,

We've seen a spike in these queries so something certainly isn't right. The tricky part is narrowing down the cause given many users are having no issue.

Rather annoyingly, it works for me. If it hadn't that would have been handy for assisting with the troubleshooting. As I'm not experiencing the issue can I ask you to try something for us please.

1. Clear your Downloads folder of all copies of 1Password and reboot your Mac for good measure. This will clear the DNS cache.
    2. Try downloading 1Password from our AgileBits Download page. This uses one CDN.
    3. If it doesn't work remove anything it did download from your Downloads folder.
    4. Try downloading 1Password once again from Stephen_C's link. This uses a different CDN.

Does either approach yield any more joy this time round after a reboot?

Sorry for all of this hassle.

• ChuckinNihon
    ChuckinNihon
    Community Member
    Options

Littlebobbytables,

Sorry to have to report that the results were exactly the same. I followed the procedure suggested, trashing and then emptying the trash of all previous downloads and a restart netted the same results from within 1Password and also the manual download site. I also turned off my system security and privacy firewall, but had no better luck.

Chuck

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

See if the suggestion in the penultimate paragraph of this AgileBits post helps.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ChuckinNihon,

Did the suggestion from Stephen's link (i.e. changing the source of the download under the Source menu in the 1Password Updater app) help? You can see a screenshot of that menu in this post, in case it helps. The default source in that menu is CacheFly, but if that doesn't work, you can change it to Amazon CloudFront or AgileBits. Do you have any luck with either of those?

This discussion has been closed.