One-time password along with username and password

jgoforth
jgoforth
Community Member

I can't seem to find any way of seeing both the normal username and password along with a one-time use password on my Apple Watch. I had my gmail login displaying on my watch and then I finally moved my one time use password from a separate authenticator app into 1Password so I could see it on my watch. Now, the regular password is completely hidden. I actually need both, and since they are for the same account I would really rather not have to great two separate entries in 1Password.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jgoforth: Sorry for the confusion! Currently 1Password for Apple Watch displays the username and password for a login or the TOTP code (if present) -- the idea being that you're using 1Password on your iPhone (or iPad, or computer) to fill the username and password, and then you can glance at your Watch for the TOTP code.

We may add more flexibility in the future to customize exactly which fields are displayed on the Watch. I hope this helps! :)

• jgoforth
    jgoforth
    Community Member

@brenty: That is pretty much what I expected the answer was going to be. I was hoping I was just missing something. If it is useful as an insight, the way you describe it is exactly the way it works at home. I have 1Password installed on my desktop machine and use the automated features to fill in the username and password. However, there are lots of times when I am using the iPhone/watch as a reference to log into a machine I don't have complete control over (work computer, public computer, friend's, etc). In those instances, I need to reference at least the two different passwords.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@jgoforth: Right! We're trying to account for the most common use to start and then go from there...

However, there are lots of times when I am using the iPhone/watch as a reference to log into a machine I don't have complete control over (work computer, public computer, friend's, etc). In those instances, I need to reference at least the two different passwords.

Exactly! So as all of us use the Apple Watch in our daily lives we will evolve 1Password here as well. There was a lot of (educated) guesswork going on since none of us could get our hands on one of these until this past weekend, so your feedback (as well as our own experiences in the coming weeks and months) is invaluable. Thanks for letting us know you'd like more flexibility in what is displayed on the Watch! :chuffed:

ref: OPI-2660

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jgoforth!

If you would like to read a bit more on why things are currently designed as they are, you can take a look at our article on the security of 1Password for Apple Watch. As that document tries to explain, data made available to your Watch are subject to threats that your other data in 1Password is not subject to. it is still well protected, but not as well protected as things that don't go to the Watch. So,

When a 1Password item containing a TOTP secret is added to Watch, the username and password for that item are not saved to the iOS keychain with the TOTP secret. Your password for the Login remains fully protected by your 1Password Master Password.

I hope that this gives you a better sense of why the initial design is as it is.

This discussion has been closed.