YIKES! Dropbox sync discontinued for OS X 10.5.8 PPC Macs

Options
claudiop
claudiop
Community Member

Hi
My wife's PowerMac G5 OS X 10.5.8 normally syncs 1Password 3.5.15 (build 30890) data across her devices using Dropbox. Restored her user account yesterday and went to relink Dropbox to her local folder when it brought up notification that Dropbox are discontinuing support for OS X 10.5.8.

Can admins suggest a strategy for syncronising her data across PPC Mac, Win 7 PC, and Android devices in place of Dropbox please?

cheers, Claudio

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @claudiop,

Given that combination it won't be easy. There isn't a single solution left that will do the hard work of merging changes to a single vault from three devices. It really depends on where your wife normally likes to alter her vault. If she normally edits or adds new items to her vault on all of her devices it's going to get messy. If she was willing to agree to edit her vault on only one of the desktops then we can at least work around this.

The only realistic solution I can think of at the moment would be to continue to use Dropbox for syncing your wife's Windows machine and Android device. Any edits to the vault should be limited to one of those copies of 1Password. If your wife can cope with treating the vault on her ageing Mac as a read-only vault then you could manually pull a copy of the 1Password.agilekeychain from Dropbox's website to the Mac every so often. You wouldn't have to remember about doing this at preset times given the changes are all in a single direction.

If your wife really needs to make additions or changes on all machines you could possibly use a pen drive but the chances of something going wrong sky rocket. The reason why it's so tough is both 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password for Windows treat the 1Password.agilekeychain as the vault. If you'd had a newer Mac in the mix it would have been easier thanks to the fact that it has a local vault and now uses the 1Password.agilekeychain for syncing, merging any differences in the keychain with the local vault. As it stands though, if your wife edits the vault on both the Mac and Windows machine, without Dropbox it would be two different .agilekeychains and neither Mac or Windows has the way to merge two .agilekeychains. Dropbox didn't have this issue because you were essentially editing a single .agilekeychain.

I'm sorry it doesn't seem like better news. Would the idea of treating 1Password 3 for Mac as a read-only copy be feasible?

• claudiop
    claudiop
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    thank you for your extensive response. She could use the Mac as the read-only but, unfortunately, it's her main computer where she is most likely to enter new passwords. The PC is the least used in the mix. Her Android devices are used fairly often but only as read-only. So, for the time being, I'll take your advice and make sure she doesn't do any edits on either PC/Android and then on the PPC Mac update manually once a week her Dropbox vault (local folder) via a web browser.

thanks for the advice, cheers Claudio

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @claudiop,

That's probably a good approach as you'll be able to find for now. It should minimise the possibility of vaults diverging while still letting your wife use all of her machines. If you find there are any issues at all please do post back and we can try and iron out any kinks. It might be worth mulling over the idea of replacing the Mac at some point. Don't get me wrong, you can run 1Password 3 for as long as you want on it or even a newer Mac but 10.5.8 is coming up to eight years old now and unsupported for almost four. Of course it's hard to argue with the statement "if it does everything it needs to..."

I hope the slightly more convoluted approach isn't too much of a hassle.

• claudiop
    claudiop
    Community Member
    Options

HI @littlebobbytables
    No problems.....She doesn't use the home Mac a lot and I've just upgraded her from a failing iMac G5 to my quad core Power Mac G5 with SSD and extra RAM with heaps of strorage for iPhoto library. Our son is on PC/Android and studying in Italy and lots of vital documents have been shared via Dropbox, up until now.
    I've upgraded to an early 2008 Intel Mac Pro and OS Yosemite and testing the waters with upgrading vital software such as 1Password but also our trusty Eudora email client, which we've hung onto because we have 25 years of collective email history there and because it fitted our email comm needs perfectly. However, I'm now transitioning our email clients along with hardware to new technology. There are a lot of issues, however, and I was planning to do the groundwork before transitioning her from PPC to Intel over the next couple of years. That timeline may have to be sooner rather than later.

thanks for your help, cheers Claudio

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @claudiop,

So venturing slightly off the 1Password path for a moment :tongue: do you use POP or IMAP with Eudora? In the past I've once or twice had to help shift people from one incompatible email client to another and I've found the easiest route is to create a temporary IMAP account (fairly easy if you have a domain and a host provider) and folder by folder copy the POP content to the IMAP server and then back into the new client if you want to return to POP. In the end I pressed my Mac Mini into service as an IMAP server so all of my email was on my own machine but not restricted by the limitations of POP.

Now this is just my personal recommendation, nothing to do with AgileBits. I use MailServe. It combines Postfix, Dovecot and Fetchmail in an small GUI and avoids the horrors of dealing directly with their config files. Even though I also now use OS X Server (which includes an email server) I still use MailServe as I prefer using Fetchmail to download using POP rather than setting my machine up as a full blown email server. Having become used to IMAP I wouldn't want to go back.

If you knew all of that already sorry for pointless post :smile:

This discussion has been closed.