Selected password value is truncated [word boundaries]

DBrown
DBrown
1Password Alumni
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows
This discussion was split from the Can't do anything on the phone thread.

Comments

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Hi, many thanks for the new reveal function and the constant stream of updates :) .

However, I've noticed that when I try and copy a revealed password, if it's got symbols in it then when I try and copy the password it will select only part of it and stops when it reaches a symbol. I wonder if you could replicate this? Passwords with no symbols can be selected in their entirety.

• Thanks @pbryanw, we are looking into this :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Any particular symbols or kinds of symbols, @pbryanw? For example, is there a specific symbol that consistently truncates the string? If not, do you mean regular punctuation marks (dashes, slashes, asterisks, ampersands, and so on) or something less common?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@pbryanw, the Windows system seems to be defaulting to word boundaries, which means some symbols will truncate the string. We're currently looking into alternatives.

In the meantime, you can often overcome this default behavior by tapping on the field's label, Password, rather than tapping on the revealed password string. That seems to select the entire string, in my quick tests.

I hope that helps. Let us know how it goes!

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

@DBrown- Hi, just tried the field title method and I can select the whole password (symbols & spaces included) by clicking on the field title as instructed. Thanks again for the excellent support.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That’s great news, @pbryanw—thanks for letting us know!

• hideftv
    hideftv
    Community Member

Every time that I have just clicked the password string I get a password login failure. I have to use the revealed password to get my login to work. Multiple sites, different passwords. And yes, most if not all of my tests have included passwords with symbols in them.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Just to be clear, @hideftv, you still have to reveal the password before copying it; otherwise, you're just copying the asterisks.

We didn't mean to imply that clicking on the field label, rather than the string, would change that aspect.

Sorry for any confusion.

• hideftv
    hideftv
    Community Member

LOL. Now I feel silly.

However, there should be a setting to have the passwords always revealed if we chose. The app is secure with the master password so why do I need an additional step to see my passwords? I know it's simple to reveal them, but it IS 2 additional presses. In the iOS version there is that option. I hope it comes to this version too.

• @hideftv, I like idea to have "Conceal passwords" with on/off switch. Gtg, time to add new setting :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

The reason for defaulting to obscuring passwords is to prevent someone reading the password over your shoulder, but a global preference setting exists on the other platforms, so thanks for the reminder!

• KyleK
    KyleK
    Community Member

Do you intend to provide a "Copy to clipboard" button, like in 1Password for Windows, so that we don't have to reveal the password before copying it?
    I don't like the fact that you can see/read the password when copying it.

• @KyleK, copy works on the tablet version (from Windows Store) just as you described. However, we might have to wait till Windows 10 to make it available on the Windows Phone, for some unexplainable reason there is no API for Clipboard on the Windows Phone 8.1.

This discussion has been closed.