1Password compared to SplashID?

Options
shmerls
shmerls
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I've been reading here and looking on the web for comparisons and even a good summary of what each app does. One thing I see here from the long time SID users are issues importing from SID to 1PW which is concerning.

But we can get over or around those. More importantly. Can someone tell me, 1PW's I gather has the ability to generate secure encrypted PWs and after a PW is generated, to input it into say a web login page? Any SID users here know if SID does this? Is their Web Autofill similar? If so, which is better? 1PW's or SID's way of doing this?

I assume which ever app you use, if you've never had a PW generator app, you first have to go thru ALL your login's and change them to the new better PWs created with either 1PW or SID and then store them in 1PW or SID? Or is it somehow easier quicker than that?

And I read about changing PWs often for best security. Is it the same process? I can't imagine it being different, but maybe it is:

Login:
Generate new PW
input and save
input PW into 1PW or SID?

I have like 84 weblogings not to mention, credit card and banking sites. I know I need better PWs but I guess no matter what, I'm in for a lot of work to keep me secure, more often. Yes?

Last, I see SID for Mac and Windows isn't out yet but I have it on my iPhone and iPad Air. I'm on their Cloud sync which works nicely.

I know people LOVE 1 PW, even long time SID users, so I have to assume sync'ing is similar?

If so, do you designate one of your computers or iDevices as Action Central, import into it or manually input into it and then this device syncs to a cloud app which in turn syncs down to your other devices and computers?

If there's a link or two about this please tell me. I keep finding new bee docs explaining stuff I already know. As a long time SID user, I just want to know the big new differences that would make one change over, why and how

Thx,
Steven

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, that's a bunch of questions.

I moved from SplashID to 1Password about a year or so ago, after using SplashID since my Palm days. Part of the reason for that had to do with other family members who were already using 1Password, and I wanted to be internally consistent within the family. But I must say, I've never looked back or regretted my decision to move over.

I can't comment on all of your questions, but I can reflect on my own experience.

Both of these will generate and save secure passwords for input into web logins.

If you have never had a password manager and use the same password at several or many sites, or have passwords that are easy to guess, then yes, no matter which you chose, you will need to go through all of them, create unique and strong passwords for each, and then never have to remember any of those passwords. They will both take care of filling in credentials to the web sites you use.

Both will generate and save new passwords when you decide to change. Given the nature of the secure passwords each generates, I seldom worry about changing passwords, unless there is a reason to do so. 1Password has Watch Tower, a neat audit feature that alerts you when sites may have been compromised in some way, where your passwords ought to be changed. I moved over awhile ago, and I don't know what the status of SplashID in this respect.

Yes, it does take time to correct old habits about passwords, regardless of the solution you choose. It is time well spent.

SplashID maintains their own servers for syncing, a service for which you pay extra, if I remember correctly. That service was new when I moved, and I can't comment on it. 1Password supports two cloud based sync solution, Dropbox, and iCloud. iCloud only works if you buy directly from Apple, though. There are a couple of other sync options for 1Password that avoid cloud providers. Those are wifi sync and folder sync. I have never used either, so I probably shouldn't say more, other than that wifi sync has been improved in the most recent iterations and now apparently works much better.

With 1Password (and probably SplashID), there is no need to designate a master computer. The sync process takes care of updating all machines, regardless of where the changes are made, at least for the cloud solutions. Again, I'm not experienced with wifi sync or folder sync. If I had to designate a master computer, I'd be looking elsewhere.

One difference between 1Password and SplashID that may or may not matter to you is that SplashID lets you create and edit your own categories. 1Password doesn't allow that. Both do let you customize the fields within a category. I made liberal use of the customization features in SplashID over the years, and that made my transfer to 1Password much more complicated than it would have been if I hadn't done that. So now that I moved everything over, I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about the ability to alter things willy-nilly as I once was.

You didn't ask, but this forum has been an terrific source of customer support, both from AgileBits people and from other users. When I left SplashID, the forums for it were useless. The usual response from support people was to require the submission of a support ticket privately, and there was almost no user-to-user interaction. Private support is great, but it doesn't help others with similar issues. There wasn't a good way to learn from other users. All of this is different with 1Password. For me, that is really valuable.

I don't know any links that objectively compare these applications in detail, but there might be some. Google probably knows.

I hope this commentary is of some help to you. This isn't a very good forum to get objective information to compare the applications with each other. The active folks here are here because they have already decided that 1Password is the best solution for them.

• rob
    Options

Thank you for your questions, @shmerls‌ and for your input @hawkmoth! I'm not as familiar with SplashID as @hawkmoth, but I can answer your specific questions about 1Password.

1. Import is tough. One of our forum members, @MrC, has dedicated a ton of his time to helping other people import their data into 1Password. He's permitted us to review and host his work on GitHub and he'll even help you out with any problems you have here on the forum
    2. 1Password for Mac and Windows has multiple browser extensions that will let you enter your login information directly into web pages. The extensions will also save new login information from sites automatically as you set up new accounts or log into existing ones.
    3. You do not have to use 1Password to generate passwords in order for 1Password to save them. If you simply install the browser extension on your Mac or Windows PC and log into sites as you normally do, 1Password will start saving your current login information automatically. Of course, if your passwords are not very strong, then you will want to update them, and 1Password can help you create very strong passwords, but you do not need to do that in order to save the login information initially.
    4. Some people change passwords periodically, and 1Password's Security Audit section will show you lists of passwords of different ages if you'd like to do that. If you create strong and unique passwords for each site, though, it's not often necessary to change them regularly, though it is certainly your prerogative.
    5. @hawkmoth summed up syncing pretty well. If you get 1Password from the Mac App Store and/or iOS App Store, you can use iCloud syncing, which has gotten much better this fall (thanks Apple!). Syncing through Dropbox is another cloud option, and we'd like to add more options in the future. Wi-Fi sync is a great way to keep things in sync between a desktop and iOS device, but it is not yet available just between iOS devices. I personally use iCloud sync for my primary vault and it works great for me.

Now in iOS 8, 1Password has an extension that will let you enter your Login information directly in web pages in Safari on iOS, something we could not do before iOS 8. Touch ID is another big thing we've been able to use on iOS to improve the user experience.

1Password for iOS is free and fully functional as a password manager, and additional features are available with an in-app purchase, but I'd encourage you to download the app and give it a spin to see how you like it.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @shmerls‌

Sorry for the late follow-up here; my wife and I took a nine-day, mostly-device-free vacation.

I'm wondering if you were able to convert from SplashID and import your data into 1Password.

• shmerls
    shmerls
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all, sorry for late reply, but I have a doctor's note and the dog ate it excuses :)

First off, like @Hawkmoth, I'm a looooong time SID user and unfortunately made lots of custom templates so conversion will be record by record I fear. But way worse is that when SID introduced cloud sync (I have SID on: iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro) either their conversion from WiFi to Cloud wasn't ready or I did it wrong, but the sad result was corruption. My I putted data all seems to have remained in each record, but some records' custom field names changed names indiscriminently and without any logic from one record to the next. So if I have a record with 2 numbers that I input a Serial & Product # which are similar and now they are labeled: Name and Username respectively, other than "assuming" the first in the list is probably the SN, I haven't a clue.

I have 403 records. Some seem in tact, some are clearly out of whack. This has been so disconcerting, that the thought of restoring, which must be manual x 400 records is instant overwhelm, gaze over, and "I'll do it later."

So first I have to fix this SID mess which my plan is to turn WiFi off on my MBP so it can't sync anywhere, delete all SID records, open my last backup before the corruption and place it in front of my Mac Pro's SID and go through the backup as a reference to as past as possible fix my Mac Pro SID database which will sync to my iPad and iPhone and SID's online app. Then delete the MBP again, turn WiFi back on and sync to the fixed updated database.

Before 1Password, I don't think SID allowed you to login where you needed to. I've always simply used it as a database and when I forgot my login, I'd launch SID, view it or copy it and enter into the site I needed entry.

So I'm also way behind in using any password manager as both storage and easy access.

It sounds like the auto credit card entry with 1P is amazing. Plus the user support is very attractive as a long time Apple Discussions user.

I'm wondering if instead of fixing my SID database, that I should open that last SID backup and use it to manually input into 1P and just go slow and input the ones I need most often and build up over time based on real need.

Last question. Did I read right that 1P has the ability for you to launch it and then go to, for example, a website requiring login and 1P will grab the login data and create a new record and then if the PW is not strong, we have the option to fix this?

If so then I wouldn't need to create every record from scratch?

I have a lot of manual work ahead of me and I'm thinking since my SID is over customized that after all the restoration, I'd then have the chore of trying to input into 1P. So why not just bypass that and build a new 1P from scratch and learn it fully since im not even using SID to its capacities.

Thoughts?
    And MANY thanks, hopefully there's some info in all this that will help others.
    Steven

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @shmerls ,

My 2 cents, get back to a known working state with your SID data, export it, and import it into 1Password, and do any corrections there. Working from even bulk data in Secure Notes (for copy/pasting into new records) will be far easier than work in SID, and you can leave SID in your wake.

If you can describe your custom types to help me understand each field, I might be able to customize the converter to import them as you wish.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@shmerls - I think @MrC has suggested a reasonable approach for you. When I moved over, conversions hadn't had the benefits of his attention. Or at least I didn't then know about his converters. My approach to moving things was to have both SplashID and 1Password open, then copying and pasting information across. This at least helped prevent my making typographical errors, which is a real hazard with my hunt and peck keyboard "skills."

If you do end up with lots of manual work, your are correct that you don't have to manage it all in one setting. Take care of your most used records first, then work on the rest as you can. A benefit of this might be that you will find, like I did, that there were data that were obsolete. The exercise was made for some healthy housekeeping.

I also am reasonably sure that if you have 1Password open and log in to a web site that it doesn't recognize, it will indeed offer to save a new record for that site. Somehow, though, copy and paste seems more efficient to me. But it's now been long enough ago that my memory of the process has faded.

Good luck. I expect you will find the effort worthwhile.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shmerls,

It looks like the others here have given some great suggestions/information, and I hope it was helpful for you! If you have more questions or need additional help with 1Password, please do let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.