Custom folder/directory question for keychain on Android & OS X with Dropbox

cxjx
cxjx
Community Member

I have moved to an Android phone from iOS and need to sort out 1Password.

I currently use two Mac computers with iCloud so will have to move back to Dropbox to sync all devices.
I want to have my 1Password keychain data in a directory/folder of my choice for example: HHD/Users/uname/Dropbox/AppData/Agile/keychain.file

Is this possible?

Previously, my custom location (folder/directory) in Dropbox gave me problems using my iOS phone so I shifted to iCloud and put up with it, but I would really like to use this custom folder choice.

Will I be able to move the current data sync to my new folder choice through prefences then setup Android by following the Dropbox procedure.

Thanks.

Chris

Comments

• Hi @cxjx. I'll be happy to help out with your syncing questions. :)

1Password 4 for Android allows you to select your vault from any path, as long as the vault itself retains the suffix .agilekeychain. That is, you can indeed create a path in Dropbox to your vault (HHD/Users/uname/Dropbox/AppData/Agile/1Password.agilekeychain). The only caveat is that you can't rename the .agilekeychain itself. You can rename the folder from 1Password to anything you like, but the folder name needs to end in .agilekeychain.

Will I be able to move the current data sync to my new folder choice through prefences then setup Android by following the Dropbox procedure.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Can you clarify? Are you wanting to move your data from iCloud to Dropbox through 1Password for iOS preferences?

If so, please check out the following guide on switching to Dropbox in iOS:
    https://support.1password.com/switch-to-dropbox/mac.html

Then you'll be able to configure sync with Dropbox on Android. Keep in mind, though, that while iOS allows you to reconfigure sync, on Android, it's not currently possible to reconfigure sync without clearing the app data. This shouldn't be a problem if your data is safe in Dropbox, as you'd be able to sync back up with it, but it's something to keep in mind.

Let me know if that answers your questions!

• cxjx
    cxjx
    Community Member

Hi Perl,

Thanks for the clear and welcome answer to my question requiring a custom path to the keychain when using an Android device to sync with a Dropbox folder on Mac and I understand that the filename and extension used by 1P data file needs to be respected.

Re the question about setting up new folder choice through prefs.. I should have specified I was referring to the 1Password prefs on OS X where it allows the user to define the Sync location. That is clearly possible on the Mac - and your answer above about Android means I can find that location in the Android sync settings on my device which will then already have the 1Password data in that same Dropbox path AFTER I move to Dropbox sync on the Mac.

(I had problems with iOS previously when I tried to use a custom path in to a Dropbox location - sync errors)

Thanks for the help.

CJ

• Thanks for the update--I see what you mean now about setting up a path to your folder in the preferences tab.

Yep! You can create any path to your .agilekeychain folder in Dropbox, and 1Password 4 for Android should detect it when you go to configure sync.

Let us know if there's anything else you need! :)

This discussion has been closed.