Too Strong Master Password

JosipB
JosipB
Community Member

Does anyone else feel the same way?
I have a too strong master password, it takes me at least 5 times to have it right. (Then I start typing character by character, which is pretty annoying to just login on a website).

I'm sure some of you have/had the same issue. What is a suitable solution without compromising the security (which is at the end why we all use 1password =) ?

I'm happy to hear about your experiences.
Cheers
Josip

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JosipB: I'm sure you'll find others that share your feelings. Personally, I only run into this issue if A I'm in a rush and my fingers get away from my brain, or B I'm typing carelessly on a tiny screen, where I'm used relying on autocorrect.

One suggestion I'll make is to adjust your auto-lock settings a bit. You definitely want a strong Master Password, because it's ultimately your strongest defense when it comes to protecting your data. But I find that I typically use 1Password in sprints (to pay a handful of bills online or make some purchases, for example), so using reasonable timer settings allow me to enter the Master Password once and complete my tasks before 1Password auto-locks and requires my Master Password again. Let me know which version you're using and I can get into the specifics. :)

• JosipB
    JosipB
    Community Member

Thanks brenty for your quick reply.

I'm using v4 - I've played around with the auto-lock settings, but I definitely will continue until I found the right balance.
    Are you thinking of pairing iOS with OS X, e.g. when I have my iPhone near the laptop, that I don't need to enter the Master Password at all? Or Using the Touch ID of the iPhone to unlock the OS X app?

Thanks again and have a good day!
    Josip

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@JosipB: You're very welcome. I am sorry for the confusion!

I just meant that here are a lot of good ways to customize the auto-lock settings in 1Password to keep it secure when you're not using it (and require your Master Password), but have it set up so that it stays unlocked just long enough for you to get things done when you are.

While it isn't currently possible to have 1Password for iOS unlock 1Password for Mac and vice versa, this is definitely on our wish list -- especially with Touch ID! I don't know about you, but it's a feature that wasn't even on my radar...until I started using it constantly. If you've got Touch ID on your iPhone or iPad, I can see how entering your Master Password regularly (like an animal!) must seem like going back to the stone age.

So, just to be clear, we don't have anything to announce, and we don't have the technology to do this yet. But given the chance I think we're motivated to make something like that a reality. Who knows? WWDC is coming up soon! Maybe Apple will have Touch ID Macs someday too. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.