Setting up a new vault for ex-wife

Options
clw
clw
Community Member

Hello,

I am in the midst of a divorce. My wife and I currently share one vault. What I'd like to do is create a second vault for her on a new computer that contains items specific to her from our currently shared vault. I suspect I need to 1) download and register a new copy of 1Password for her on the new computer, 2) import a duplicate copy of our shared vault for her, and then 3) go back into that vault and start deleting passwords that are tied to me. Moving forward I plan to continue syncing my vault via Dropbox, and she'll likely sync via a newly created Dropbox account.

Does this plan sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @clw,

So just to recap, you currently share a Primary vault between one or more Macs and mobile devices but due to the current circumstances (sorry btw) you now need to divide the Login items as is appropriate.

Your idea is essentially correct. I'm assuming you're already syncing the shared vault to Dropbox.

1. Install and set up 1Password on the new computer.
    2. Create a new Primary vault with it's own Master Password.
    3. Double click on the .agilekeychain that represents the shared vault, 1Password will guide you through creating a new secondary vault.
    4. In this secondary vault use the Item > Share > Primary > Move drop down menu option to move a single item from the secondary vault to this new Primary vault. As the secondary vault is synced this will remove the item from anywhere else that syncs. I am assuming that is what you wish to do.
    5. Once you've moved all of her items into the Primary vault on this computer you can remove the secondary vault.
    6. Switch to the secondary vault and then select the 1Password > Delete XXXX vault... drop down menu option (XXXX will be the name of the vault).
    7. Enter 1Password's preferences and switch to the Backup tab. Click on the Show Files button. Delete any backups in there. Depending on how fast steps 1-6 took there may be none.
    8. You can unlink the current Dropbox (if you linked it) and help create a new Dropbox account for your wife and save the login credentials in the new vault.
    9. You can show your wife how to pick a Master Password memorable to her, it's in 1Password's preferences in the Security tab. If need be highlight once it is changed she will be the only one that can access this vault ever. I personally recommend unlocking the vault daily to ensure it is engrained. This warning may not be required but every so often we have to break the bad news to people that we can't reset a password and that they're effectively locked out of their vault.

At the end there will be a new vault with brand new encryption keys on the new computer with it's very own Master Password unknown to you. Your shared vault will now be missing any items that you moved in step 4. What I've tried to do with a couple of steps is to allow you to show how you're acting in good faith and that these vaults are now completely separate (via the new encryption keys).

If you have any questions at all please do ask and myself or somebody else from AgileBits will do our best to assist.

• clw
    clw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much! You provided all of the answers to my query.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you have any more questions at all @clw we'll be here :smile:

• clw
    clw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again - much appreciated

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables