1Password for Mac doesn't sync using Dropbox.

rlf
rlf
Community Member

I'm running 1Password 4.4.3 for Mac on a MacBook Air and an iMac both running OSX 10.9.5. I've configured both computers to sync using Dropbox but it's not working. I just deleted over 100 logins from 1P on my laptop and then went to my desktop and they were still there. I've double-checked that both devices are pointing to the same 1Password agilekeychain file.

One thing that makes this difficult to troubleshoot is that it doesn't appear that you can force a manual sync with the Mac version of 1P. It will tell you when it has last synced but what triggers that sync? There needs to be a manual sync option so that you can check if a sync is actually occurring.

Is Dropbox known to be unreliable for syncing? If so, is there a more dependable option? Syncing has never worked for me since I upgraded to version 4.

Could someone please help me?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlf,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble syncing 1Password data between your Macs! With Dropbox sync, 1Password for Mac simply writes data to the local Dropbox folder on your Mac, and the Dropbox app is in charge of syncing of your 1Password data to/from the Dropbox servers. Because 1Password for Mac doesn't actually do the syncing, it doesn't have an option to force a manual sync.

It sounds like you've already checked the sync settings in 1Password on both Macs, and they're set to sync with the same keychain file in Dropbox. So, the next step would be to make sure Dropbox is working in general. On one of your Macs, please open the main Dropbox folder, and copy or move a file there (it could be a photo, text file, new folder, etc). Allow that to sync, then check your Dropbox folder on the other Mac. Do you see that file there? If that file didn't sync from one Mac to the other, it sounds like Dropbox isn't working correctly on one of your Macs. But if that worked correctly, then something is going on specifically with 1Password.

Let us know how that goes, and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• Novalis
    Novalis
    Community Member

I'm running 1Password 5.3.1 on OS X 10.10.3 on a MBA. I recently changed a password on webmail and saved the new login to 1P on the MBA. But it won't sync to 1P (4.2.1) on my Android device. I followed your advice to @rif (moved a file to Dropbox folder on the MBA, allowed it to sync, etc.) and sure enough, it does appear in Dropbox on the Android. But my webmail login won't sync to the Android, hence a 1Password issue? I'd be most grateful for any assistance you might offer

• Hey @Novalis, I'm sorry to hear about your syncing troubles. Let's see what we can do about this. :)

You mentioned that the file that you manually moved to Dropbox shows up in Dropbox--does the webmail login show up there? You can verify this using 1PasswordAnywhere. To do so, log into https://www.dropbox.com in a web browser. Locate the 1Password.agilekeychain folder and open the 1Password.html file you find inside. After logging in with your master password, do you see the missing login item there?

I'll look forward to your reply. Thanks!

• Novalis
    Novalis
    Community Member

Webmail login shows up in 1PasswordAnywhere on my MAB via browser; I can't access 1PasswordAnywhere from Dropbox App on Android: window states 'key data file' missing. But I can access 1Passwordanywhere via Chrome browser on Android, and the login file is there for webmail.

• Thanks for the update. I'd like to ask you to create a couple of Diagnostics Reports from your Mac and Android device:
    Android--https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/android.html
    Mac--https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Novalis
    Novalis
    Community Member

Just saw your message. Issue seems to be resolved. I checked on 1Password Reader app on Android and found updated login. Then I uninstalled 1Password for Android and did a fresh install. It synced perfectly from Dropbox then with the webmail login. So I guess I don't need to create and send the Diagnostic Reports you requested??? Thanks for your help!!!

• That's great news! It sounds like maybe the Android hadn't completed syncing, or was perhaps syncing to a different location than the Mac, which would explain why reinstalling and reconfiguring sync on the Android got everything back on the same page.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that the issue is resolved--no need for those reports after all! Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.