Community Member
    Options

Oops! Using an iMac running 10.10.3

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gah314,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with 1Password!

Now, I'm not quite sure I understand the exact problem. You said 1Password is locked - do you mean it's asking you to enter your master password? If so, simply enter your master password to unlock it, then you'll be able to enter/edit the data in your vault.

If that's not what you meant, can you please elaborate on what's happening? What steps are you taking and what is or isn't happening the way you expect? Are you getting any error messages in the process? Please walk us through it. The more information you can give us the better and more quickly we'll be able to assist you. Please feel free to post a screenshot of what you're seeing, if that helps. Thanks!

• gah314
    gah314
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. It's the master PW that isn't working--it won't unlock 1PW. it's 4 digits.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gah314,

So sorry to hear that your Master Password is not being accepted. I've been there, and I know it's not fun. We have an article with troubleshooting steps you can try, but you may end up needing to start over with a new vault. Best of luck to you!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @gah314

Do you really have a four digit master password? That's very insecure. I suppose that if you only store your 1PW data on your own machine, and nobody else has access to that machine, you can get away with it. But I still would not recommend it.

I ask partly to warn you not to use such a simple master password, and partly because I am wondering if in fact this four digit code could refer to something else.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gah314,

A bit like danco, I'm wondering if you're mixing up your Master Password and the PIN feature for quick unlock in 1Password for iOS. Do you happen to use an IOS device with 1Password at all or have you definitely set up your Master Password as a four digit code?

As Vee as covered, we can't help with forgotten Master Passwords. Your vault is only on your system (unless you explicitly set up syncing) and only your Master Password can gain access. There isn't a back door or a way to reset the password as both systems would introduce a weakness to the security. Hopefully you can regain access to your vault.

If you have any questions do please let us know.

• gah314
    gah314
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the comments. Still can't enter passwords, as 1PW is locked. The 4 digit master password is fine--no one else uses the machine.

Isn't there an instruction manual that can be downloaded? It's difficult for me to follow printed instructions.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gah314,

Were you able to try the troubleshooting steps I linked to in my previous post? I'd be eager to hear how that went for you. Sometimes simply restarting the computer can help reset things such that the Master Password will be accepted again.

Our user guides are all online, but you can download them as PDFs if you'd like. To download the 1Password 5 for Mac user guide, click on this link and then scroll to the bottom and click the "Download as PDF" button below the left sidebar.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.