1Password feature request: document management

MStyle
MStyle
Community Member

I am currently using 1Password for limited document management, i.e. attaching files to certain 1Password items. Since these are sensitive or personal documents, I need a way to encrypt them before storing them in a cloud service such as Dropbox or OneDrive, and I think 1Password is great for that purpose.

However, there are currently two issues with 1Password's document management:
1. I cannot upload files directly to my vault, without having to attach them to something
2. There is no easy way to download files from my vault unless I'm on a system that has 1Password software installed.

I considered using a service such as DocWallet, but I'd rather not trust them with my stuff. In a perfect world, 1Password would incorporate some of DocWallet functionality by adding a new category, let's call it Documents, that would allow me to easily manage files in my vault without having to attach them to another item, and also to download them from most browsers by using something like 1Password Anywhere.

Is there anything like that planned, or at least being considered?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MStyle: Thanks for contacting us. I'm sorry for the confusion!

1Password isn't really designed with file storage in mind. Attachments are supported, as often we find ourselves having files that are relevant to a particular item. So the file attachment feature is there to support items in your database, not the other way around.

However, we do offer Knox, which is expressly designed with encrypted file storage in mind. In fact, that's all it does -- streamlines management of encrypted volumes of any size. Be sure to check it out, as it sounds like it might be a good fit for your use.

Honestly, my favourite aspects of Knox are its simplicity and flexibility, since it allows you to create specialized vaults for as many or as few files or folders as I like, each with unique passwords for encryption. This way I can control the security myself before putting sensitive information on a machine I don't control.

And as for 1Password, we currently do not have plans to add this type functionality, though we may consider it in the future. In fact, attachments are fairly limited in 1Password by design, since typically one is storing a lot of data in aggregate and even syncing to mobile devices over cellular data connections in many cases, so we want to respect those constraints. In the case of Knox, it is more about storage, so I have vaults containing gigs of data, since I know my other devices won't have to choke on them.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member

Since file attachments are an already existing feature in 1Password, it would be great to at least be able to download those attachments in Chrome/Firefox/IE/Safari etc. with 1Password Anywhere. Even though 1Password Anywhere's interface has not been updated in a while, it still works great for quick browser access to 1Password in Dropbox. Are there any plans to update 1Password Anywhere?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Also bear in mind that that Knox is Mac only.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also bear in mind that that Knox is Mac only.

@RichardPayne: Very true.

Since file attachments are an already existing feature in 1Password, it would be great to at least be able to download those attachments in Chrome/Firefox/IE/Safari etc. with 1Password Anywhere.

@MStyle: Interesting! I'm not sure I'd considered this before. Definitely something to evaluate as we look at the future of 1PasswordAnywhere. I do think though that it may be prohibitive, efficiency-wise, to decrypt whole attachments in the browser; but as web technologies and hardware advance, this could become feasible. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.