Not filling complete username, asterisk symbols in username. Username***

Options

Hi,
I'm using 1Password 5.3 on a 5K iMac. On one particular website 1password will not properly fill my username. For example it fills User**** instead of Username. Basically it cuts off part of my user name and replaces it with asterisk symbols.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cooper7012,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with one of your Login items! I've seen a few sites that change the way a username is displayed in the login form right after entering it, usually by showing part of the username as asterisks like you described. 1Password might be filling the correct username and the site automatically displays it with asterisks, in which case you should still be able to sign in correctly. On the other hand, 1Password may have saved the username for that site with the asterisks, which would cause a problem when you try to sign in.

You didn't specifically say if you're able to log into the site correctly or if that causes a problem. If you can still sign in correctly when 1Password fills your username and password, then the correct username is being filled, but the site is displaying it with asterisks. In this case, you don't need to do anything. But if you're unable to sign in, you should be able to fix that:

First, open the main 1Password app and find your Login item for that site. Does the username appear correctly, or does it have the asterisks? If it has asterisks, edit the item and change it to your correct username for that site (then remember to save the changes). Try that Login item again - does it work now?

If it's still a problem, please try manually saving a new Login for that site. Does the new Login item work correctly? If not, try those steps again, but this time enter your password in the password field first, then enter your username, but leave the cursor focus in the username field so that the username is still completely visible. 1Password will save the username that is visible, so it should be saved correctly in the new Login item.

Does that help? Please let us know how it all goes. Thanks!

• cooper7012
    cooper7012
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,
    Thank you for the response!

Sorry for not being clear and complete with in first post. At that time I had tried everything I could and it was not working, and by the time I got around to writing the post I was a little frustrated.

Yes, I have previously tried all the steps you mentioned. No, its not working... Since trying the first time, and reading your post I have tried each of the steps you mentioned and its still not logging in. Yes, 1Password is saving everything correct (without asterisks)...

Thanks again,

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cooper7012,

How would you feel about supply the URL of the site in question. If you're happy to do so we can do some testing and prodding and hopefully understand what is going on. With that knowledge I'm hopeful we can help you create a working Login item.

• cooper7012
    cooper7012
    Community Member
    Options

The URL is www.midflorida.com

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cooper7012,

The site in question is using JavaScript to automatically change everything but the first four characters of your user ID to asterisks. This will happen regardless of whether you're using 1Password or not. So in this instance the question changes to, are you finding you have errors if you fill with the Login item?

If I create a Login item following our How to manually save a Login guide it captures the username as part of the web form details. I then edited the Login item slightly so that the field in the web form details section was correctly identified as the username.

Below is the JSON of the item I created. If you were to copy the entire block so it is in your OS X clipboard you will see a new option in 1Password's File drop down menu option. The option is called New Item from Clipboard and it is only visible when 1Password sees a JSON item in the clipboard. Selecting that drop down menu option will create an item in your vault based on my test item. You should be able to edit the item and alter the username to your user ID. If you do this does the site allow you to move to the second login page?

{"sectionName":"M","details":{"backupKeys":["vkRe4JEC\/AWy7fLHcqoaESAm1YvbyKvYOnH0GHzhAomNI2VCCvt05+NNnhAeXLQLHRcm9Ck8YeChycn\/EneDiA=="],"htmlForm":{"htmlMethod":"LB1"},"fields":[{"value":"","id":";opid=__3","name":"q","type":"T"},{"value":"Search","id":";opid=__4","name":"sa","type":"I"},{"value":"","id":"zip;opid=__5","name":"zip","type":"T"},{"value":"","id":";opid=__6","name":"","type":"I"},{"value":"user ID","id":"mask-custom;opid=__7","name":"mask-uid","type":"T","designation":"username"},{"value":"Login","id":"OnlineLogin;opid=__8","name":"Login","type":"I"},{"value":"","id":"rates_zip;opid=__14","name":"","type":"T"},{"value":"\/rates\/loans","id":"rates_typeSelect;opid=__15","name":"","type":"S"},{"value":"Look up","id":"rates_lookup;opid=__16","name":"","type":"B"}]},"uuid":"7922AE2CA5144E30A4BAF9B409324054","updatedAt":1431869128,"createdAt":1431869112,"categoryUUID":"001","overview":{"title":"Midflorida","url":"https:\/\/www.midflorida.com\/","ainfo":"user ID","ps":0},"URLs":[{"overview":{"label":"website","url":"https:\/\/www.midflorida.com\/"}}]}

This discussion has been closed.