Moving OTP

blebbens
blebbens
Community Member

Hi,

I'm using two factor auth for two services: gmail and dropbox (via iOS-app authy).
A few days ago I bought a Apple Watch.it would be nice to move all secrets from authy to 1password.

Dropbox gave me the opportunity to transfer the (new) secret code via a QR-code to 1p.
But, I can't find a gmail option which shows me the secret code I have to set in 1p for OTP.

Is there a possibility to transfer the secret from authy to 1p ?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blebbens,

I answered this question quite recently so here is a link to that particular post. Unfortunately it wasn't great news as Authy don't seem to make it easy. Sadly the easiest way is simply to disable TOTP and then re-enable it for each service unless they specifically offer an alternative. For example I didn't know Dropbox offered the ability to request the QR code again - I haven't seen such a feature before in my limited TOTP use.

• blebbens
    blebbens
    Community Member

Dropbox just offered the possibility to create a new QR-Code - old access works.

I'm using gmail access from all devices: Windows, Mac OS X, iOS... I don't want to reset all my app-/device-Specific passwords.
    Is there a way to use 1p's OTP with gmail without resetting and re-enabling two-factor-auth in my gmail account?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blebbens,

Well I've done a little exploring and thanks to your query learnt something new about Google and 2FA :smile:

If you visit the 2-Step Verification section of the preferences, where you originally set everything up, you will find there is a link titled Move to a different phone. That link will create a new 2FA secret, so the original one is useless but any application-specific passwords that you have set up don't need to be reset. You will need to ensure the new secret is available on any devices that were previously generating 2FA codes but 1Password's syncing can help you there given the goal was to shift all of this into 1Password anyway. Could this be an acceptable solution? technically it is a new secret but without the hassle of generating new application-specific passwords at the same time.

• blebbens
    blebbens
    Community Member

Yeah, think, it worked...
    BUT: a problem is left...

1p is running on 3 devices (Mac, iPhone and iPad).

While I'm trying to sync all devices using iCloud, all devices are reporting 1p synchronizes. But, this never ends. It syncs permanently on all devices (last sync yesterda on all of them).

I also want to use OTPs on my Apple Watch. Due to this I send gmail and dropbox OTP to my Apple Watch with unlocked pro features. All I see is: " you can add items from the 1p app on ypur iPhone" - this I already did hours ago.

• Hi @blebbens,

For your Apple Watch dilemma, I recommend using the Apple Watch app on the iPhone to remove 1Password for Apple Watch, restart both the Appel Watch and iPhone, then unlock 1Password on the iPhone. Return to the Apple Watch app on iPhone and re-install 1Password for Apple Watch. That should work.

As for the iCloud sync issues, are you saying that once sync starts it never finishes?

• blebbens
    blebbens
    Community Member

Right, it synchronizes endlessly.

• @blebbens Try turning sync off on all devices, then turn it back on one device at a time.

• blebbens
    blebbens
    Community Member

Apple Watch App works fine now.

Turnes sync off on all devices. Afterwards I turned iCloud Sync on, device after device.
    Mac and iPhone worked (512 items) after a couple of minutes. But, the iPad still shows "never synced".

• chrisdj
    edited May 2015

Hi @blebbens,

It may be best to move to email at this point and get some details from that iPad.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iPad:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@blebbens: I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there once the diagnostics have been evaluated. I'm closing this discussion, and you'll hear back from us via email shortly! :)

ref: BDP-78474-513

This discussion has been closed.