add 2FA for logging into 1Password

WilDieteren
WilDieteren
Community Member

L.S.,

I would like to propose adding 2FA as an option for logging into 1Password. Definitely for OSX, possibly also for iOS.

Wil Dieteren

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Wil Dieteren ( @WilDieteren ),

Thanks so much for the suggestion! If you'd like to learn why 1Password does not currently support this, please have a read through our security guru's blog post: Two Factor or not Two Factor.

If you have any questions about this post, please let us know!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I can see maybe on OS X, but I don't see a point for iOS. The iOS (your phone) is the 2nd factor. So you'll get the 2nd factor on the same device that has 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: While the phone itself isn't truly a second factor (since 1Password is running on it), Touch ID provides this on supported devices.

I know it's come up before, but we may explore the possibility of using the phone as a second factor for the computer. Perhaps Continuity will be expanded in a way which facilitates this. Hopefully Apple will have some exciting news next month at WWDC! :)

• WilDieteren
    WilDieteren
    Community Member

@Megan,

Will have a read, have not gotten around to it.

@prime

You are right of course, would be no use on iOS, so just OSX then.

WilDieteren

• WilDieteren
    WilDieteren
    Community Member

@Megan,

I have just read the blog post, which has failed to completely convince me there is no need for 2FA. Also, the link to the forum topic at the end of the blog post does not seem to work.

WilDieteren

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WilDieteren,

It seems (I wasn't part of this amazing team at the time) that we've moved platforms for our forums at some point since that blog post. The new URL for that thread is https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/9045/two-factor-or-not-two-factor

This page may also be of interest, Authentication vs. Encryption.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I have just read the blog post, which has failed to completely convince me there is no need for 2FA

What are your doubts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WilDieteren: I don't think the intention was to 'convince' so much as to 'inform'. Cheers! :)

• WilDieteren
    WilDieteren
    Community Member

@RichardPayne,

It is not doubt so much as wanting as many security layers as possible, 2FA would ad an additional layer.

@Brenty,

The blog post does try to make the point that 2FA is not really necessary, so there is at least some convincing involved in addition to informing, but this is mostly semantics I think.

WilDieteren

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It is not doubt so much as wanting as many security layers as possible, 2FA would ad an additional layer.

@WilDieteren: Hear hear! I can get behind that. :) :+1:

The blog post does try to make the point that 2FA is not really necessary, so there is at least some convincing involved in addition to informing, but this is mostly semantics I think.

I think you may be right. Sorry for the misunderstanding! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.