Secure note hyperlinks

Options
tonydow
tonydow
Community Member

Hi. Would it be possible the make selected text within the notes field of a secure note into a hyperlink?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tonydow,

You've posted in the Lounge here instead of a specific platform, so I'll do what I can to answer your question with respect to 1Password's desktop versions. In the latest update of 1Password 5 for Mac (version 5.3), Secure Notes got an awesome power-up, including sections and custom fields. This means that you can add all types of data to your Secure Notes ... including URLs.

The same is true for 1Password 4 for Windows.

Now, if you're talking about turning a random word into a link to a URL, that is not possible at this time. Please let me know if the custom fields helps you to store the information that you need! If not, I'm curious to learn a bit more about what you're envisioning here. :)

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan I'm using 1P IOS 5.4.1 on iPad and Windows. I have a secure note which has a note field with a lot of text, some of which would be useful to have as hyperlinks. It is not really suitable to use custom fields. You have said above that this is not possible at this time which I fully understand so could it be noted as a possible future enhancement. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tonydow: It sounds like what you want is for 1Password to dynamically detect URLs in Notes to make them clickable, is that correct?

I think that's a fine idea, and I'll be sure to bring this up with the team to see if it's something we can add in the future. Thanks for the feedback! :chuffed:

ref: OPM-3066

• frec9_piet_ac_orr_yk
    frec9_piet_ac_orr_yk
    Community Member
    Options

@megan, It was helpful to learn what sections/labels are for, I had seen them but was unable to find anything in documentation about them (probably due to just introduced in 5.3). Some followup questions please:
    (1) Even when choosing any of the non-Text options for a given label, after entering info and saving the secure note, I am not seeing the greyed out label just to the the right of the red delete box ... is that a beta enhancement since 5.3.1 (I am running 5.3.1)?
    (2) There is no 'telephone' option in the list, and yet I am seeing 'telephone' as a greyed label in front of the number that was keyed. Likewise for 'Policy no.'.
    (3) I am brand new to 1Password ... to what do the 'One-Time Password' and 'Password' options apply? (I wouldn't think that they would, using your example and if you had used either/both of the Password labels, apply to a user account at myinsuranceco.com, since you would have a login item to cover that).
    (4) Still on Password options: I noticed that clicking on the 'Password' changes the value ... so saving the not would change the password to what you clicked on? (It would be hard to test it out because you see not but '. . . . . . . . . .' until you click on Password ... but maybe that is showing what the existing password is?)

Would appreciate your (or anyone else's input). Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frec9_piet_ac_orr_yk: It's a little confusing, primarily because sections and custom fields are so flexible. They've been around for a while, but they are new to Secure Notes.

1. You'll need to enter some information there, or the section/field name will be blank. It's up to you!
    2. Megan provided this as an example. By default, a Secure Note has none of these sections or fields, but when you edit it, you can 'create' a section by giving it a name -- whatever you want!
    3. Time-based One-Time Passwords are used by some services (notably Google) as a second step in the login process. Check out our guide for more information!
    4. Correct. 'Password' fields are obscured with dots unless you reveal them (by holding the Option key) or click to change them (in edit mode). This way someone can't just peek over your shoulder to see!

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.