Forced to upgrade from v. 4 to 5?

Options
FunkyBiz
FunkyBiz
Community Member

Hello,

Firstly, great program. I bought 1p v4 sometime mid-last year and loved it. However at some point it has upgraded to v5 and gone from paid to trial. This seemed to work fine for a while but now I cannot edit logins or add new ones without paying for a license (clicking "Not now" only reverts back to last state). This goes both for the installed app and for the Chrome plugin.

It feels odd to be asked to purchase a new (reasonably expensive) software so shortly after buying the last version. I assume there is a way to downgrade to v4? (Alternatively some great upgrade offer.)

Regards,
Jonas

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You definitely don't need to pay for version 5 if you have a license for version 4. That transition was a free upgrade. If you have paid for version 4, you would apply the same license file you used to register version 4. The same, identical license file is used for both versions.

I haven't kept up with version numbers, but I assume that your copy comes from the AgileBits web store. No license file is needed for copies purchased from the Mac App Store; there licensing is handled by Apple, and it is tied to the AppleID used for the purchase.

If you have misplaced that license file, you can have it resent by going to the bottom of this page and entering the email address you used to buy version 4. You'll receive a return message with the information you need to apply the license file to your copy.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jonas ( @FunkyBiz ),

Hawkmoth is right, you certainly don't have to pay for 1Password 5 if you already own 1Password 4! I've located your license details in our back office records by searching the email address in your forum profile, and I'm re-sending the details to that address - you should already have them in your inbox!

Please let me know if you have any further questions. :)

ref: 718452

• FunkyBiz
    FunkyBiz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick feedback Hawkmoth, and thanks a million to you Megan for sorting out my license file so quickly! (I managed to find my license key in an email from when I bought it, but no file, got irritated and wrote here instead:)

Keep up the great work!

• Estroe
    Estroe
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Agile Bits,

I'm having more or less the same question, I was asked to update today but now I get messages that my version is expired.
    I don't remember where I bought 1password but my license is valid until end of this year.
    Can I please go back to the previous version?
    I don't see an e-mail to reach you or customer service.

• mel66
    mel66
    Community Member
    Options

Is 5.3.2 a paid upgrade from 5.3.1 or not? I don't want to download the new version and find out I have to pay.

• Estroe
    Estroe
    Community Member
    Options

I've checked my license key, I'm a mac and windows user so it seems I do have to pay. I wish I would have had a clear choice while updating, I wasn't aware that it would cost me money. I find this whole procedure pretty confusing.

And I can't push the buy button (see screen shot) please some advice/guidance.
    Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Estroe,

I don't remember where I bought 1password but my license is valid until end of this year.

1Password licenses are not valid for a limited amount of time - once you purchase 1Password, you can use that major version (and take advantage of all the minor version updates) for as long as you want. That's the great thing about 1Password - it's an app and not a subscription.

I took a quick look in our back office records for any license details associated with the email address in your forum profile, but I was unable to find any.

If you have already purchased 1Password 5 (or 1Password 4 before it) from the AgileBits Store and are having trouble locating your license, please send your full name, and the email address that you used to make your purchase to support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll be more than happy to help you track it down. Please note that if you originally purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, we won't have any record of your purchase here, as Apple ties all software purchases to your AppleID and does not make these records available to individual software developers. Once we have a few more details on when and where you purchased 1Password, we'll be able to help you resolve this 'trial expired' issue.

I don't see an e-mail to reach you or customer service.

Our support forums are the quickest way to get in touch with the AgileBits team at this time - we're monitoring the forums 7 days a week to answer your questions quickly. :)

Hi @mel66,

5.3.2 is a free update for all 1Password 5 owners. As a general rule, only the big numbers would possibly be a paid upgrade. (Think 1Password 3 to 1Password 4, for example.) Even 1Password 5, a major release, was a free update for all 1Password 4 owners. We do our best to keep paid upgrades as few and far between as possible. :)

These little 'point' releases (5.3.1, 5.4, etc), as we call them, offer 'minor' improvements and bug fixes, and while they're awesome, we certainly wouldn't ask you to pay an upgrade price to access them.

I hope this explains things, but if you have any further questions, please let me know!

• Estroe
    Estroe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reaction Megan, I've just send an e-mail to the support team

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Estroe,

Thanks for sending your details in to our team! It looks like you've received a response already - if you don't see it in your inbox, please let me know ... but email should have the answers that you were seeking. :)

ref: ZWK-58333-818

• mel66
    mel66
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick comments, Megan. I would love to see 1P say "This is a free upgrade" on the updater notification. Just a suggestion.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @mel66!

This discussion has been closed.