down carrot appears in search field. Result: searching blocked.

Options
henrycfa
henrycfa
Community Member

On the main application screen that shows the list of logins there is a search field. When I select that field to use it for a search, a down carrot immediately appears on the click as the first character in the search. It cannot be deleted and thus a search that does not begin with a down carrot is impossible. How do I get rid of that carrot? Thanx!

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @henrycfa,

That's very strange, I haven't heard of a problem like that before. The only down-pointing carrot/arrow you should see in the 1Password search field is a very small one right next to the magnifying glass. That's a screenshot of that in this knowledgebase article. Is that what you're referring to, or are you seeing something else aside from that? If you can take a screenshot of what you're seeing and post it in a reply here, that will be very helpful (if you do that, please make sure no confidential data is shown in the screenshot).

Thanks!

• henrycfa
    henrycfa
    Community Member
    Options

Drew,
    This is a case of user error. I was assuming that by typing in an "S", for example, I would see all those logins that BEGIN with S in the results list. Instead, I see that I get a list of all logins that CONTAIN an S. For my logins, that is quite a few, so the list does not appear to change, hence my observation that search didn't work.
    As I type more letters, the search narrows to the character string in the search. My fault. Sorry for the confusion! And thanks for the prompt response to my question!
    Henry

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @henrycfa,

Thanks for following up. And no need to apologize! We are here to help, after all. :)

I'm sorry that the search bar didn't behave as you expected, but glad that Drew was able to help clarify how it does work.

If you do want to search for items beginning with a certain letter, you can adjust the search parameters by clicking on that down carrot by the magnifying glass (which is meant to signify that there's a dropdown menu there), select "show search options" and change the search criteria to, for instance, "Title begins with."

Thanks for asking your question here. Really, we'd much rather take a moment to clarify a feature than just have you silently be frustrated or confused by 1Password! Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.