Wifi Sync API documentation

Options
Ben.S
Ben.S
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

Does anyone have any developer documentation for how wifi sync works? I have some ideas for personal use to make remote syncing via computer to mobile via private cloud a lot easier and smoother. Perhaps the best solution would probably be a way to go into 1password for mobile, and give it an IP address to sync with. Mods, please add that to the feature requests. :)

1Password Version: 5.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• Hi @Ben.S,

Thanks for writing in. It's on my todo list to write documentation about how some of the internals of Wi-Fi sync works, but there's nothing available yet. Unfortunately we don't plan on documenting it to the point where someone outside of Agilebits could create their own implementation of the server. The reasoning for this is pretty simple: we don't want to have to support someone else's implementation. It'd be very difficult, if not impossible, for you to write a good implementation without access to the entire source of 1Password. It's hard enough building something good when I've got all the code in front of me. :) We've documented the basics of OPVault (what used to be called the Cloud Keychain format), and Wi-Fi sync is a mixture of that + a simple JSON socket protocol with encryption (so everything is encrypted twice, once by OPVault, once by the transport protocol). But then beyond that you'd need to know/understand merge policies/conflict resolution etc...

If you have any specific questions about the implementation, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer it. But unfortunately I don't think you'll get enough information to build your own sync server.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.