Where on the Mac is the 1Password data saved?

Options
EdE
EdE
Community Member

I've been using 1Password on my MacBook Pro laptop for years. It's currently 5.3.2 and I believe that it came from Agile, not iTunes, although I don't remember for certain. I have two problems. I can't reliably sync with my 1Password on my 1Phone (1Password for iOS V5), it's trial and error. And now I'm trying to update my 1Password 4 on my office machine (Mac Mini) which I hadn't been using, after which I want to replace the old data on the Mac Mini with the current data on the MacBook Pro. What's unfortunate for me is that your explanations about syncing are not lucid except for someone very experienced with your program AND either Dropbox or iTunes or iCloud. Even Apple concedes that iCloud is a work in progress that can take down everything when it hiccups. And Dropbox seems like a way to reduce the security of 1Password by putting your data on another third party platform. So please help me out here. I've been a loyal customer, but this is not working.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: not sure how it's syncing

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EdE,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting the sync to work reliably with 1Password on your Mac and iPhone! I'm sure we can help to get things all sorted out for you.

It's currently 5.3.2 and I believe that it came from Agile, not iTunes, although I don't remember for certain.

It sounds like you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac, and I was able to find your license for that in our system.

I can't reliably sync with my 1Password on my 1Phone (1Password for iOS V5), it's trial and error.

What sync option are you trying to use? If you have 1Password 5 for iOS and the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac, you can sync them using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync. If you're having trouble with either of those, please let us know which one, the steps you're taking, what happens when you do that, if you get any errors, and any other details that will help describe the problem. I'm sure we'll be able to help get it working correctly! :)

Dropbox seems like a way to reduce the security of 1Password by putting your data on another third party platform.

Actually, because your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, the security of your 1Password data doesn't depend on the security of Dropbox. We're very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your computer. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

Where on the Mac is the 1Password data saved?

This doesn't relate directly to sync issues, but if you're curious where your data is stored on your Mac, you can find information in this knowledgebase article.

I hope this is helpful! Please let us know about the sync problem, and we'll be happy to help you out with that. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.