Two vaults (home / work) using Dropbox sync.

Options
ukmacnut
ukmacnut
Community Member

I am about to help a friend setup a new purchase of 1password. He would like syncing, and two vaults - one for home and one for work. Am I correct in saying all the home devices (mac and iphone) and all the work devices (PC and ipad) need to be logged into the same Dropbox account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

In general, yes, all should be logged in to the same Dropbox account. However, Dropbox has features to allow sharing content among users (accounts), which may be useful if your friend normally has separate Dropbox accounts for home and work. I'm not an expert on that, however, so if it is of interest, post again and a more experienced helper will be along.

Edit: I just read a response from @Drew_AG in another thread that contains the information you'll need if you have to deal with more than one Dropbox account. It's here.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ukmacnut,

It's a bit easier if all computers and devices are using the same Dropbox account, but as hawkmoth mentioned, it's not absolutely necessary because you can share vaults between different Dropbox accounts. In case you haven't already seen the information in the other thread, you can find steps to set that up in this knowledgebase article.

I hope that helps. If you or your friend need any help with that or have other questions, just let us know! :)

• ukmacnut
    ukmacnut
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you hawkmoth and Drew_AG - I set up my friend's 1Password using a subfolder in Dropbox - so potentially this folder could be shared (via Dropbox) with family members at some stage. For now, we managed to sync between Mac, iPhone, and iPad using the same Dropbox account on all.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ukmacnut ,

I'm glad that Hawkmoth and Drew were able to help you get your friend set up with 1Password! I hope that everything syncs up for you and your friend perfectly, but we're always here if you hit any snags. :)

This discussion has been closed.