Constant message: database backup failed. the onepassword database could not be backed up.

Options
qwerty
qwerty
Community Member

Hi, I've been receiving the following message for weeks: "database backup failed. the 1password database could not be backed up. Database exists but is invalid. One or more key files may be missing." I tried to address the issue when it first started, and messaged with an agilebits administrator, but my understanding of their answer was limited and I could not solve the issue. In the past week the messages have gone from frequent to constant, so I cannot work on my computer. I really value 1Password and want to continue using it. Could someone at agilebits please guide me through this? I really need some assistance. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @qwerty,

I'm sorry you're having such trouble with that error message!

That error is specific to version 3 of 1Password for Mac. If you're currently using 1Password 4 or 5 on your Mac, we can remove the old part of 1Password 3 that is causing the error. Can you please let us know the following:

• What exact version of the 1Password app is installed? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password)
    • What exact version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?

Thanks in advance!

• qwerty
    qwerty
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG, Thank you for your response. I have 1Password version 3.9.21.90, and Mac OS X 10.9.5 (13F1077). I believe I bought the AgileBits store version.

• qwerty
    qwerty
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again, I'm also getting the message "AGDatabaseError. Exception: The encryption keys file does not exist at 'file://localhost/Users/ameliavarela/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/1password.keys'"

• qwerty
    qwerty
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Do you have any advice for me on how to fix the issue?

• qwerty
    qwerty
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG,

Sorry to bother but could you please advise? I'm about to throw my computer out the window out of frustration.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qwerty: Ouch. Let's not be too hasty! We'll get this sorted out for you.

However, there are a few things that strike me as a bit odd:

It sounds like you've sync'd your data from another device using Dropbox, is that correct? If so, what OS and 1Password version are you using there?

1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/1password.keys is a file within your vault, which apparently is missing (which is why you're getting the error). I'd like to know if you can locate this file either on another device, or on the Dropbox website.

Finally, 1Password version 3.9 is from the Mac App Store, not the AgileBits website (that would be version 3.8.22). If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store (which is the only way you'd have that) and you're running Mavericks, you should be using 1Password 4 instead, which is just a free update through the Mac App Store. Did you install it directly from there, or copy it over from somewhere else?

Probably the best way to proceed to get rid of the error is to restore from an earlier backup (1Password File > Restore...), but my concern is that however the vault became damaged in the first place, the problem may return if bad data is being sync'd from another device.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• qwerty
    qwerty
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for your response. I have (though do not use) 1Password on my Android as well. At one point I tried to change my password on my phone, but it did not sync over to my computer. My original password continued to work on my computer, but now, when I enter that password on the computer, the wheel just spins and it won't open. I continue to use the function of 1Password through the 1Password key in the upper righthand corner of my browser, which does not ask me for a password to access website logins.

I would be happy to try to restore from an earlier backup as you suggested, but can I even access 1Password File > Restore without being able to access the application? I hope this makes sense.

• qwerty
    qwerty
    Community Member
    Options

I think the original version I had is 1Password-3.8.22.zip

• qwerty
    qwerty
    Community Member
    Options

It now says "(null) vault. There is no vault. Please open 1Password App." When I try to open the app the wheel spins and it will not open.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qwerty: Oh dear. Okay, that's definitely a problem then, if the app won't even launch on your system. Even without a vault it should (it'll just have you create a new one).

The best thing to do would be to use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums at AgileBits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• qwerty
    qwerty
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I just sent off the diagnostic report as requested. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qwerty: Unfortunately I'm not seeing a message from your email address. If you can post the ticket ID you received from our BitBot, it will help me track down your message so we can get back to you sooner. Thanks! :)

• LauraR
    Options

@qwerty - Thanks for sending your diagnostics report to us. We will reply via email.

ref: HZK-14576-679

• qwerty
    qwerty
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I was having a problem with my mail server, and thought the message had been sent a while ago. I'm sorry for the delay.

• LauraR
    Options

No problem - I have replied to your support email. The backup failed message is coming from an old version of 1Password and I have given you the steps to fix that. I also see that you have a number of installs of 1Password so I have explained how to delete them all and start with a fresh install. Hopefully this will get you going again.

This discussion has been closed.