Access a vault on a network location [Not recommended nor supported]

Options
ccheney
ccheney
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I created a new vault on a network server that I have e.g. \\myServer\1password. Now, I want to access the vault from a second PC. The issue is, when I try to add the vault using File > Open 1Password Vault... the pop up is one of the minipop ups, and there is seemingly no way for me to access \\myServer. The shortcuts that I have to \\myServer on my desktop do not show up. Is there anyway I can manually enter the location of my vault? I've tried creating a vault and then Choose Another, but there is the same issue.

Minipop up. No way to navigate to \\myServer

1Password Version: Windows 4.5.0.574
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Have you tried going through the network locations (Homegroup) on your PC?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ccheney I do see my network share(s) under the "Network" node -- can you please confirm this? Thanks!

• ccheney
    ccheney
    Community Member
    Options

The networks tab is there, however the server does not show up. If I map the server as a network drive then I can select it, but I can only access it through that mapped drive (e.g. Z:\), which does not work for me. Again, the ideal scenario is I just want to manually type in the path in the dialogue box below.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ccheney If you're tech-savvy then you can go into the registry and change the location of your vault over there. We do not recommend this route, but then again, neither do we recommend storing your vault on a network share :)

• ccheney
    ccheney
    Community Member
    Options

Great, editing the registry seems to have worked. Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited May 2015
    Options

On behalf of Stefan, you're welcome.

For anyone else reading this, we do not recommend or support using your 1Password vaults on network drives. It should be locally hosted and sync'ed over to a network drive instead if you can do this.

This discussion has been closed.