Created new folder; after saving new note, screen goes black

Options

For the first time, I created a folder. I'm not sure why because I can't see that it does anything; the entries still appear in the "all" and "unassigned" lists. But I did and added a sub-directory for several entries. As soon as I'd make a new note, I'd get a black screen as I moved around the list. I created three notes. Now whenever I open any of the new notes, I get the black screen. It doesn't seem to be for the same duration but it happens every time. I'm ready to delete the folders and either let the entries be moved into the unassigned are (where they already are but ??) or even delete them.

So my questions. First, why is there the option to create a new folder; what does it do? Second, is this black-out behavior normal for added security or is it a potential security problem?

Finally, I should probably mention that I actually have a purchased license for 1pw 4. I've not used it because I truly don't like the Firefox interface and since that's where I use it most, I've stayed with v. 3. If I'm at risk doing that, I'll make the upgrade.

Thanks much (as usual) for helping.

-G.

1Password Version: 1.0.9.342
Extension Version: 3.9.20 (Firefox)
OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit
Sync Type: none

Comments

• There are two parts to your issue here.

N° 1 is the fact that for some reason the screen goes dark when interacting with a note item. To be honest, I don't think we've heard of that one before. Can you please create a video of this? With dummy data in the note, of course.
    Secondly this might be due to some interaction of 1Password for Windows and your version of Windows that we haven't encountered yet and upgrading to 1Password 4 for Windows might fix it.

Finally, I should probably mention that I actually have a purchased license for 1pw 4. I've not used it because I truly don't like the Firefox interface and since that's where I use it most, I've stayed with v. 3. If I'm at risk doing that, I'll make the upgrade.

Here I can recommend simply going with the new version of the main app and continuing to use the old version of the extension if you prefer the old UI that much. 1Password 4 for Windows is compatible with the version 3 extension and the current version 4 extension.
    The new extension has numerous advantages, though, and you should really take a closer look at it.

If you decide to switch to 1Password 4 for Windows, please take a close look at your database and make sure that all logins that you have in the Firefox extension are also present in the vault itself. I remember that you reported a syncing error between the Firefox extension and the main database once — that, incidentally is something that can't happen with the new extension anymore.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gorham,

In addition to what Alex said:

For the first time, I created a folder. I'm not sure why because I can't see that it does anything; the entries still appear in the "all" and "unassigned" lists. But I did and added a sub-directory for several entries.

Folders is just an organization feature to keep related items in one place, so you can see all of them quickly. It does not remove said items from the All folder because that's a builtin smart folder designed to show you all of the items you have. It also does not remove said items from any of the categories on the sidebar because folders does not change what category the item belongs to.

Unassigned is another builtin folder that means the items has not been assigned to a folder. Once you drag an item into a folder you have, it will be removed from Unassigned.

I have a folder called Bills, I put all of my Logins into this folder that I need to visit every month to pay my bills and I put a few of Bank Account items into this folder as I often have to copy the data from there for my paperworks, as well as a few secure notes that I need to revisit for any bills-related stuff like my taxes information. By putting it in a single folder, I don't have to remember which sites I need to visit, search for these items each time, and so on, 1Password will have everything in the same folder for me.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

N° 1 is the fact that for some reason the screen goes dark when interacting with a note item. To be honest, I don't think we've heard of that one before.

@AlexHoffmann We have heard of it before, and I believe we concluded a video driver to be the common denominator for everyone having this problem. That being said, this problem is very rare. /cc @gorham

This discussion has been closed.