Auto fill up on Reddit doesn't work properly

Auto fill up of username and password on reddit using the 1Password extension (on Safari) doesn't work properly. This is partly because Reddit has a create new user and login as existing user options in the same screen. 1Password however, fills up my username and password in the create new user area instead of existing user area. Could you fix that?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Have you tried re-creating and saving the login manually? That often resolves the sort of problem you have.

Stephen

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @arnabdas,

I think Stephen_C's suggestion will work as I have a working reddit Login myself.

For anybody else reading this, I don't look at cat pics during working hours :tongue:

• arnabdas
    arnabdas
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. I just did that. Unfortunately it still fills up the wrong forms. If you have a reddit account, could you please check?

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @arnabdas,

There is an oddity which I can't explain.

1. There is the login box on the main page at https://www.reddit.com/
    2. There is the modal dialog window that pops up if you click on the sign in or create an account link on the main page at https://www.reddit.com/ (which opens up https://www.reddit.com/login)
    3. There is the full login page at https://www.reddit.com/login

Now a Login item created for 2. won't work on 3. (but works in scenarios 1. & 2.) and vice versa (3. works in 1. & 3. but not 2.) and I cannot explain why. What I can say though is if you're consistent with how you log in, then a Login item created in the right place should work.

It's definitely weird. Does that match up with your findings at all?

• arnabdas
    arnabdas
    Community Member

It's exactly what I've found. Definitely weird.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @arnabdas,

Does knowing that a Login item saved from the right place should reliably fill (as long as the same login location is used) work with how you like to interact with the reddit site?

• arnabdas
    arnabdas
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables it does. Fortunately, reddit doesn't ask for logins very often on the desktop. So I won't be doing this very often.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I am delving into the JSONs for the test items I created when discovering this, we'll see if they raise anything of interest as to why :smile:

• Theuni
    Theuni
    Community Member

I've just been fumbling around this, too. Specifically variation 2. They are using the same HTML form field names for both forms and the registration comes first. They have different IDs, but it didn't help for me to put the IDs into autofill - 1Password kept filling in the registration one. Weird. Happy to know you're looking into this already. If you need more data, I'm happy to help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Theuni,

I'm sorry you're also having trouble filling your login info on that site! I've moved this discussion to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum so you can get more help for this issue.

Can you please let us know the following:

• What exact version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?

Thanks!

• Theuni
    Theuni
    Community Member

OS X: 10.10.3
    1Password: Version 5.3 (530029) / Mac App Store (unfortunately)
    Browser: Chrome 43.0.2357.81 (64-bit)
    1Password Extension: 4.3.1.90

Cheers,
    Christian

(The auto-fill works for me for the form directly on the website but not for the modal overlay that appears when pressing sign in/log in)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Theuni: Same setup here. Please follow these steps to create a Login item that will work in both cases:

1. Click the "Sign In" link in the upper right corner of the Reddit site
    2. Enter your username and password on the right (sign in) form
    3. Manually save a new Login item
    • Now, 1Password will be able to Go & Fill directly on the front page...
    • ..and the popup 'sign in' form as well

The one idiosyncrasy I noticed is that once you bring up the popup login form, even closed 1Password fill continue to fill it since it knows it's there. Don't let that throw you off. Cheers! ;)

• Theuni
    Theuni
    Community Member

Hi,

thanks for the hint - this works. Looking at the data in 1Password I'm wondering how you guys interact with the DOM ... I see that the "webform details" contains basically the same data, but stuff like "user" filled in with "..." markers. The user field then repeats and I wonder whether this means 1Password actually iterates over everything and this is able to reach things with the same name because it goes over the first then the second, ...

Being a developer myself and as a power user It would be nice to know the details of this so I can predict what my changes to those setting result in ... :)

Cheers,
    Christian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Theuni: Excellent! I'm glad to hear that did the trick for you. Thanks for following up!

Unfortunately I don't know all the specifics of how this works under the hood, but I'll see if someone from the development team can weigh in here to answer some of your questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.