IOS/Windows/Mac Nothing works across the 3 platforms

chaag46
chaag46
Community Member

I really need help. I can't get consistent results across all three environments. Not sure why. I have the latest versions of the software on each device. Where can I go to find a top-down installation and configuration scenario that if followed will assume that everything works?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

You haven't told us the method you are using to try to synchronize your data. It would help if you did, and gave us the version numbers of the applications you are using.

In any case, have you consulted the help pages? There syncing among devices is covered in detail for all platforms.

If that doesn't help, try telling us what you are doing, what you expect to have happen, and what actually happens instead. It should be reasonably straightforward to help you get going. One thing to be aware of is that when Windows is a player in your system, Dropbox will be your only choice for keeping everything synced up.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chaag46 ,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling frustrated with 1Password right now. We'd love to help you get straightened out, but like Hawkmoth suggests, we will need a bit more information.

Our support pages cover a lot of the common problems that you might be seeing, but we're more than happy to walk you through the process here as well. When you reply, please include your version information, as well as a bit more detail about where things are getting tangled up. :)

• chaag46
    chaag46
    Community Member

I thank you both for reaching out in a timely manner to help.

In my post I asked for a detailed, top down list of the steps to follow in implementing the most current version of 1Password across a Win 8.1; the most current MAC OS; and the most current iOS for an iPhone 6+. If this information is necessary for proper support I should be able to follow a link in your e-mail to generate a system report containing all the information you asked for.....and avoid all the head strain of trying to do what comes nuttily for you and is not clear to me.

Reading help pages or support pages would not be necessary if there was a document that took you thru the installation, configuration and implementation platform by platform then thru the sync using iCloud and DropBox. I have both scenarios for sync with DropBox being the default. After all that there should be an automated systems test to validate the environments on all devices registered to the licensee account as a part of the getting started process/procedure. I've NEVER read a book, consulted a web site, read thru help/support pages trying to ask a specific question to get even a general answer nor had to resort to a blog in the use of my iPhone, for instance. If I needed help I could call 1-800-myApple and talk to someone or I could chat on-line and give access to my computer for help I can follow for my MAC or PC........

The lack of a process and procedure documentation impedes so many of your users....check the help pages/support pages. Not to mention the blog site. No one that posts has a clear understanding of the steps and the environment(s) and the requirement a user go to a site and try to ask the right question using the right words to get a response like you provided does not provide support/answers to normal folks (only to those who feel the urge to locate the needle in the proverbial haystack).

I don't mean to be confrontational or disrespectful. I am going to be very frank. Last post I made turned up a flaw in the software and a requirement to update to the latest versions (the last of which was just recently released). I did all that and here I am and it still doesn't work the way it should. Logging into a web site with the site, login ID and PW stored in a sync'd DB on iCloud and/or DropBox, within reasonable expectations, launch, insert the login ID and PW for the site and have accurate information and successfully get the user into the site. That's not happening. So now there is the question- what is working properly and what is not-is it keychain or 1Password.....who knows? Why does the login work on a computer and not on the iPone or on the iPhone and not on the MAC or on the MAC and not on the Windows computer.

If I had good documentation and followed the steps, I could trace my actions thru and troubleshoot the scenarios I described. If I needed help, the help pages/support pages and blog activity would be logically tied to the process. When there are issues and you find solutions that are not documented initially, your posts can a;so be tied to the overall process.

I have no idea where to go or what steps to follow to figure out why I can automatically login to a site on one device, try the same login on another divide and get nothing in the login ID or PW and have to manually enter it or recover an ID and PW to access the site, then go to the other device, bring up the web site and the ID is there and the PW is there and it WORKS!

I have the same number of logins on each device, the ones I checked appear to be the same---but then there are those that are different and several have multiple entries for what appears to be the same site, but the content for ID and PW are DIFFERENT. WHY?????

Instead of placing the burden on the customer, PLEASE consider I can illustrate and recreate EVERY incident I describe but I cannot, for the life of me find the answer in the install dude, on the help/support pages or in the blogs...and when I ask a reasonable question I get a series of questions in return. When someone comes to you and obviously has tried, look at their profile and make an effort to talk to them. Hiding out behind an email wall and on a site with no phone number to call is not good.

• Hi @chaag46,

Thank you for the detailed feedback.

In my post I asked for a detailed, top down list of the steps to follow in implementing the most current version of 1Password across a Win 8.1; the most current MAC OS; and the most current iOS for an iPhone 6+. If this information is necessary for proper support I should be able to follow a link in your e-mail to generate a system report containing all the information you asked for.....and avoid all the head strain of trying to do what comes nuttily for you and is not clear to me.

If it is easier to generate a diagnostic report from each device, rather than look up the version number, you can do so:

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

—Windows—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html

When given the option please email the reports to us at: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number for each report. Please post those numbers here so we can quickly track down the reports. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you.

Reading help pages or support pages would not be necessary if there was a document that took you thru the installation, configuration and implementation platform by platform then thru the sync using iCloud and DropBox.

There are such documents. They can be found here:

https://guides.agilebits.com/index.html

I have both scenarios for sync with DropBox being the default.

iCloud is not going to work for you, as you have Windows in the mix. You'll need to use Dropbox as your only sync method for 1Password.

The lack of a process and procedure documentation impedes so many of your users....check the help pages/support pages. Not to mention the blog site. No one that posts has a clear understanding of the steps and the environment(s) and the requirement a user go to a site and try to ask the right question using the right words to get a response like you provided does not provide support/answers to normal folks (only to those who feel the urge to locate the needle in the proverbial haystack).

You talk quite a bit about our documentation in your post. Our docs team is very open to feedback, and if you have specific examples or suggestions I'd be happy to pass them along.

We'll look forward to receiving your diagnostic reports. Again, please do post the ticket IDs you receive from BitBot here once you receive them.

Thanks!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Reading help pages or support pages would not be necessary if there was a document that took you thru the installation, configuration and implementation platform by platform then thru the sync using iCloud and DropBox.

I agree. However, whether or not a solution even applies to your situation depends entirely on us knowing the specifics, which is why our moderators and staff ask so many questions! We could absolutely just say, "here's what to do", but without fully understanding the details of the problem first, we'd often end up confusing folk and making matters worse. After thousands of posts, I only rarely quote myself or link to others I've written, because identical cases are rare. After all, people don't generally come to a support forum when everything is working as expected!

If I had good documentation and followed the steps, I could trace my actions thru and troubleshoot the scenarios I described. If I needed help, the help pages/support pages and blog activity would be logically tied to the process. When there are issues and you find solutions that are not documented initially, your posts can a;so be tied to the overall process.

Since not everyone uses the same combination of devices, OSes, versions of 1Password, and even browsers, it isn't possible for us to have a single, monolithic 'get started' guide that will be the perfect fit. So instead, we have guides for specific things, such as setting up Dropbox Sync on Mac, backing up 1Password for iOS, etc. All of these exist as discrete pages which we can then link to as we walk you through an overarching process to get you started/set up/fixed...but only if we have the relevant information to be able to do so. ;)

Instead of placing the burden on the customer, PLEASE consider I can illustrate and recreate EVERY incident I describe but I cannot, for the life of me find the answer in the install dude, on the help/support pages or in the blogs...and when I ask a reasonable question I get a series of questions in return.

Unfortunately without more information we're just grasping at straws, because there is no one-size-fits-all solution in a world where most of us have a fairly specific, semi-unique conglomeration of computers, phones, and tablets. In the end, that's why we're here: to ask pertinent questions so that we can ultimately respond with a personalized solution for you -- and the rest of our awesome customers! :)

• chaag46
    chaag46
    Community Member

The diagnostic reports have been sent for Mac, iOS and Windows

• Jasper
    edited June 2015

Thanks! It looks like Sean has been assisting you via email.

We'll continue the conversation there. :)

ref: KXT-29191-457

This discussion has been closed.