No synchronisation between MacBook Pro and iPhone 5s

Options
pittermann
pittermann
Community Member

Hello Dave Teare,

my name is Peter and I am from Germany. I have licences for my MacBook Pro, my iPhone 6 and my wife's iPhone 5s. First of all, I installed lots of logins in my 1Password app on my iPhone 6. Then I synchronized all data with my MacBook Pro sucessfully.

As a next step, I installed a second account in the 1Password app on my MacBook Pro for all the logins of my wife. While attemping to synchronize the data with my wife's iPhone 5s I received the error message 7013 after sending the master password. Therefore, the synchronization was not possible respectively failed.

Maybe it has to do with some additional characters respectively special signs within my password.

Btw: It is interesting, that the synchronization process of both 1Password accounts on my MacBook Pro with my iPhone 6 is possible. Only the iPhone 5s seems to be problematic.

I would be glad if you could help me. Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Peter

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Wireless

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pittermann,

I'm sorry you're getting an error when trying to set up Wi-Fi sync with your wife's iPhone 5s!

Does your wife have a different master password for 1Password on her iPhone than you have on your Mac? If so, that might be the problem. In that case, you can try changing her master password so it matches yours. On her iPhone, open the 1Password app and go to Settings > Security > Change Master Password. Once it is using the same master password as on your Mac, try to set up Wi-Fi sync again. Does that make any difference, or do you still get the same error message?

If that doesn't help, or if she was already using the same master password as you, please let us know a few more details:

• What version of iOS is running on her iPhone 5s?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on her iPhone 5s?
    • Does your wife currently have any data in 1Password on her iPhone?
    • Do you have all the up-to-date data in 1Password on your Mac? Or is there some data on your wife's iPhone that isn't on your Mac?
    • Did you ever previously sync 1Password between your Mac and her iPhone? If so, was it using Wi-Fi or a different sync method?
    • How many vaults are set up in 1Password on your wife's iPhone?

Thanks in advance!

• pittermann
    pittermann
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Drew_AG,

thanks a lot for your help. Your assumption was totally right. The problem was the differing passwords on both machines.

Unfortunately, there's another problem now:
    On my MacBook Pro, I created two different safes in 1Password to differentiate between my wife's and my passwords. Unfortunatly, since the synchronization now is working with the same master password on both machines, my wife has both safes on her phone. So not only her passwords (safe #2), but also my passwords (safe #1).

Maybe I didn't get the principle of creating severals safes in 1Password right. Hopefully, you understand what my problem is and could give me a hint.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
    Peter

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pittermann,

You didn't do anything wrong, this is actually the way Wi-Fi sync works with multiple vaults. I apologize for the confusion! When using Wi-Fi sync, secondary vaults are optional, but your Primary vault is always included. We have a bit more information about that here: Wi-Fi Server Preferences

If you want to sync only your wife's vault to her iPhone, and not your own vault, you'll need to switch to Dropbox sync for her vault (you can continue to use Wi-Fi sync between your Mac and your own iPhone, if you want). You can follow the steps here to set her vault to sync with Dropbox (make sure to choose her vault in the sync preferences on your Mac).

On her iPhone, you'll need to reset 1Password, and then set it up to sync with that vault in Dropbox (make sure you have all your/her current 1Password data on your Mac before doing that). To reset 1Password on her iPhone, you can simply delete the 1Password app, then reinstall it from the App Store on the iPhone.

After that, when she opens 1Password again, she'll want to choose Sync existing vault and Sync with Dropbox, then follow the additional steps to sync with her vault in Dropbox.

I'm sorry again for the confusion about that! If you have questions or need more help, please do let us know. Thanks!

• pittermann
    pittermann
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Drew_AG,

again, thanks a lot for your help. Everything worked just like you said. I made a workaround, so from now on the first vault is empty (the one which always gets synchronized over Wifi). Then I installed one (second) vault for me, which synchronizes only with my iPhone 6, and another (third) vault for my wife, which synchronizes only with her iPhone 5s.

Best regards,
    Peter

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for following up, Peter. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome. If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.