Use on iPhone/iPad

Options
Michaels1Pass
Michaels1Pass
Community Member

How do I use 1Password on my iPhone/iPad? I can log into my 1Password, but then when I go to the app that I want to login to, where is the method to pull the ID and PW info to login? Then I go back to the 1Password app and it has already logged me out not 10 seconds later. Really!?!?

Please give me step-by-step instructions on how to login to an iPhone/iPad app using the 1Password app.

Frustratedly,
Michael

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michaels1Pass,

What you might find informative is our manual for 1Password 5 for iOS In there you will find all sorts of information about how you can use 1Password.

You will probably want to check out the section on Settings: Security as that covers aspects like how fast 1Password will lock and you may want to read out our iOS Safari Extension.

Certainly if you have more questions please do ask :smile:

• Michaels1Pass
    Michaels1Pass
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the help, but it would be much more helpful if I didn't have to wade thru the entire manual to find the tiny piece of missing information I need. I thought I was specific enough with my request. Do you understand my question? Let me try to rephrase my question: 1Password is installed on my iOS devises. How do I now use it to login to another app such as my bank's app which requires an ID and PW entry. On my OS devise (apple computer) I can click on the 1Password icon on the tool bar and select a Login account. It doesn't work that way on my iOS devices. SO, what's the secret to doing the same thing but on my iOS devises (iPhone and iPad)?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michaels1Pass,

The link to the manual was for more general perusal should you be interested, that's why I also linked you to two specific pages, one on security to address the issue of being logged out in what seemed like a very short period and then the second as I did misread your original post and thought you were asking about general logging in (hence linking you to the iOS Safari extension page).

As your question relates to other iOS apps (apologies) then the answer is different. Prior to iOS 8 there was no way to fill in the login details in another iOS app. You would have to copy and paste, switching backwards and forwards between 1Password for iOS and the other iOS app. It's worth remembering that Apple keep iOS heavily locked down and apps are extremely limited in their ability to interact. Now Apple did introduce extensions in iOS 8 and not just for Safari. The difference though is each app has to add support for another app's extension. Unless an app supports our extension then you're limited to the copy and paste method that those pre-iOS 8 used. This is a list of known apps that support our extension, Apps ❤ 1Password. Unless you see a tiny 1Password vault icon on the login page of the app then it is unlikely it supports 1Password. For now this is as much freedom as any app developer has in iOS.

Does that help?

• StudioMoon
    StudioMoon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this info - I have had the same problem forever. Now I get it - the things we need 1P for a lot, like banking, are just not supported by iOS...bummer! How come Apple treats iOS so differently from OSX? Again, thanks for the answer, it really helped.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @StudioMoon,

are just not supported by iOS

It is possible, and it is supported by iOS, just not in the same way it is on Mac. On Mac we have a lot more freedom, frankly, whereas iOS has more "structure."

How come Apple treats iOS so differently from OSX? Again, thanks for the answer, it really helped.

I suppose ultimately Apple would need to answer that, but if I were to speculate... I'd say Mac has been around for a long time, and there is a lot of legacy there. People weren't as security and privacy minded back in the early days of OS X... and certainly the Internet wasn't as ubiquitous. In many cases as they've come along they've had to add layers of security on what they already have while trying to not do too much damage to the legacy operations. With iOS they essentially got a clean slate, and folks were more security & privacy minded when they were designing iOS. As such they were able to build a lot of that in without having to worry about breaking existing code.

It does mean that for things to work the way customers expect there has to be more cooperation between app developers, which is in part why we've made the code for our extension open. Anyone can view it, and implement it into their app. But they have to choose to implement it, we can't do that part for them. And that is really the only way to achieve what customers want at the moment with the way things are on iOS.

I hope that helps.

Ben

• StudioMoon
    StudioMoon
    Community Member
    Options

Got it - and thanks (again) for the quick and thorough reply. You're right, it's a question for Apple, but I (selfishly) had you "on the line" so I thought I'd ask to save time (see how that worked? : ). Hopefully mobile devices will cooperate soon - it would be amazing to be able to log into my Chase account quickly!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can help with please don't hesitate to drop us a note.

This discussion has been closed.